How to install Brother's printers on MInt

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
fatduckling

How to install Brother's printers on MInt

Post by fatduckling »

Installing a printer on MInt is a fairly easy process.

Step 1)
GO to google and type in the printer you want (from brother).
Lets say I want Brother MFC 5460-CN printer.
I'd type in Google: Brother MFC 5460Cn printer driver.

TO see all the printers to download, go here http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... d_prn.html
Step 2) CLick on the printer you want.
Download both LPR and cupswrapper drivers in DEB Format.

Step 3) Install both of them. Should be a fairly easy process, just by double clicking it.
Step 4) In the start menu, type in 'Print", and you will see Printer Configuration. Click it.
Step 5) CLick on add new printer.
STep 6) Select the first one. (APp/SOcet)
STep 7) I didn't type anything in the text box but my printer still works. Click forward.
STep 8) Find brother, Click forward.
STep 9) Look for your printer with "CUPS" next to it. eg MFC 5460 CUPS.
STep 10) SElect the recommended driver and click on "FOrward" and then click "ok".

HOpe this helped.
sir_guy123

Re: How to install Brother's printers on MInt

Post by sir_guy123 »

Brilliant!

Been trying to get my HL-3040CN working for 2 days in mint 15, seen lots of 'do sudo this' and 'do sudo that' but I'm not confident with the terminal so this has been a great help.

Thank you.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

fatduckling wrote:Installing a printer on MInt is a fairly easy process.
Step 2) CLick on the printer you want.
Download both LPR and cupswrapper drivers in DEB Format.
Better yet, select the ppd file if one is available.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
noono

Post by noono »

Hi

I Run Mint 15 olivia cinnamon and couldn't get brother HL-2142 to work. Tried downloading brother drivers from their linux driver support page http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... ml#HL-2140. i took down both the LRP and cpuswrapper drivers, installed them, got nowhere except for every page printed blank all at once. In the end used mint cinnamon 15's own foomatic driver source - through settings and printer configuration window. Some on http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 48457.html had recommended using the Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e driver but all this did was print one blank page - not all of them at once at least - but it was still blank ! BUT it gave me the idea to try other foomatic drivers for the 2140 (as many are offered by foomatic). I found that Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/hl1250 [en] was the solution. Yippee !!!
kevinls2222

Post by kevinls2222 »

All OK until step 4, If I type print, I get the downloaded files. So I went into settings and opened printers and clicked ADD, (APp/SOcet) does not appear. But Brother HL3150 is there so I select that. The program then goes in search of the driver, finds it, I click forward. I attempt a trial print. Nothing. I ask for the printer attributes and it is obvious that the printer is present but does not output. It still flashes the "Data" light when I ask for a test print but does nothing the rest of the time. Meanwhile, the windows computer prints (wirelessly) straight off, so the printer / network is not defective.

Kev
Loopzilla

Post by Loopzilla »

I'm a linux newbie. I tried linux before, but simple things like plugging in a USB drive wouldn't 'just work', so I waited and tried again later... Linux Mint is doing it for me now, apart from printing.

Printing seems to be potential deal-breaker though.

I have a Brother DCP-J925DW which I chose, amongst other reasons, because of apparently good linux support. It connects wirelessly to my windows network and has worked perfectly under that regime.

Despite a total lack of guidance, I eventually realised I needed BOTH the LPR driver and CUPSwrapper driver and installed both. I can now see my printer listed and all looks good, until I try to print anything. The computer shows as busy, but nothing happens at the printer. I haven't tried scanning yet!

I recall seeing something at some point about having to input the IP address of the printer, but (a) cannot remember where, and (b) I'm surprised that this could be necessary in todays plug and play world.

Any clues for a linux idiot?

Matthew
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

to me the simple way to install brother printer " MFC420 cn" is first go to Synaptic Pacakage Manager Search "brother" you get all the drivers there click apply then back to Preferences -system setting-printer then Add,choose network or usb or local than your printer should be there that's it
tmortgan

Post by tmortgan »

Thank you very much for that last post on installing printer or other drivers. I monkeyed around for 2 days before this simple solution.

Clearly the package manager is the way to go for installing all software or drivers.

New to Linux, but LOVING Mint16!
meduser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meduser »

Using Synaptic worked for me too on Mint 17.3. Thanks.
Cattledog

Post by Cattledog »

fatduckling, I wanted to say THANK YOU. Even though it is now 4 years after your original post on how to install a printer the information is just as good, and currently relevant as the day you posted it. I've been very frustrated for about 2 weeks trying to install my printer. I've searched the forums, and help links. No one else gave directions to make the install as simple, and easy as you. I now have a working printer. THANK YOU. And, thank you to all others who help those of us who are new to, or newly returning to Linux and command lines after decades.

Return to “Tutorials”