How can I access files from another laptop HD with Mint?

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Ramesez
Level 1
Level 1

How can I access files from another laptop HD with Mint?

Post by Ramesez »

I have a hard drive from an old laptop that I would like to get (Windows) files from, then wipe it clean with an install of Linux Mint.
Is there any easy way to do this?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How can I access files from another laptop HD with Mint?

Post by Neil Edmond »

Yes. Put the HDD in a USB enclosure, and connect it to the Mint computer. Mount the drive (if it doesn't automagically mount), and copy your files.
Ramesez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ramesez »

Is that the only way? I was hoping to do this without buying anything. (Just hooking the other HD to my laptop then use a live DVD to get to the files, Mint or otherwise)
If it were a desktop, I would simply run the other HD as a slave and it would then be a simple matter to copy all the files to a flash drive, I could just do that with windows.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I suppose you could swap hard drives, boot a LiveDVD (if the Windows HDD won't boot in your computer), and copy the files to a USB flash drive. Would that work?
Ramesez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ramesez »

Neil Edmond wrote:I suppose you could swap hard drives, boot a LiveDVD (if the Windows HDD won't boot in your computer), and copy the files to a USB flash drive. Would that work?
Yes, that's what I want. How do I do this use the latest version of mint?

Return to “Tutorials”