new install partition confusion [solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
temper

new install partition confusion [solved]

Post by temper »

I'm trying to install LMDE and I've decided to delete everything and start fresh. I can create primary partitions, but it will not let me create any extended partitions.

Also, whenever I apply the operations, I get a Libparted Warning saying /dev/sdb contains GPT signatures but does not have a valid fake msdos partition table. It asks if it is a GPT partition table. yes and it says the backup GPT is corrupt but primary is ok.

If I continue with install and assign /dev/sdb as / and install grub, the install completes but the machine will not boot. goes directly to bios.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: new install partition confusion

Post by kurotsugi »

I think convert to MBR will be the easiest way :3
temper

Post by temper »

How exactly?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

It is not enough to delete partitions, you have to delete the partition table to switch from GPT to MBR. Gparted can do that for you.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
temper

Post by temper »

austin.texas wrote:It is not enough to delete partitions, you have to delete the partition table to switch from GPT to MBR. Gparted can do that for you.
Thank you so much. I finally have a working LMDE desktop! I can't tell you how many distributions I've tried to install that failed. Now I know why. :?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I am glad it worked for you !

Please go to your first post, click EDIT, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “LMDE Archive”