Funds for Mint

Talk about your projects for the community
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Funds for Mint

Postby Panther on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:03 am

Given that Mint is free free free, and mighty good good good, maybe if everyone using this wonderful operating system put a penny in a jar every time they used Mint, then sent their pennies to Mint, it would help Mint grow, and get even better better better in time. If ten million people sent in their 50 pennies each, how many Mint dollars would that be?

How many people run Mint now?

Maybe if Mint had an automatic counter of how many times users used Mint globally, so users would know how many pennies they should donate to the Mint project. Most people need a little push to do good things for others. Maybe this is just enough push to make average people want to donate to this good cause.
All you need to do is give people their reason to do something, and they'll do it.
Panther
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Funds for Mint

Postby seth556 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:43 pm

What would the money be used for?
seth556
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lexon on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:32 pm

seth556 wrote:What would the money be used for?

Boy this is a tough one. I have to assume for more developments in Mint. I might be wrong though. :D :D
lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit.
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby vrkalak on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 pm

Clem the Developer of LinuxMint. Doesn't have another job ... the funds/donations that Mint generates, is it.
All the other Devs and the Mint Team are volunteers.

Same goes to pay for the official LinuxMint website and to keep this Forum running . . . donations!!
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Craig on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:57 am

If you cannot donate for any reason though. The best thing about the "freedom" of Linux Mint is that you can choose to support in other ways by introducing Linux Mint to a family member or friends.

Also by giving Linux Mint a space on most of your websites or blog's like I do. Which sure, is not a a big thing but at least it gives people the knowledge that Linux Mint and it's team are shown appreciation for their work and their efforts.

I know primarily that donating is important as anything else you can possibly do for any project. But if you really think about it also it's spreading the word of Linux Mint that is just as important because it will allow other individuals or companies to check it out and see what is on offer and then if they wish so then they will donate.

So in that respect, it's all contributing to Linux Mint in a good and effective way and I just thought that was worth a mention. :)
Craig
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 1GN4Z on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:20 pm

I know primarily that donating is important as anything else you can possibly do for any project. But if you really think about it also it's spreading the word of Linux Mint that is just as important because it will allow other individuals or companies to check it out and see what is on offer and then if they wish so then they will donate.

I agree.
Just buying a Linux Mint T-Shirt help. You wear this T other people read "Linux Mint" and maybe 1 of 10 readers will at home google for Linux Mint -> more people using it -> more companies see a market -> Linux Mint grows up!

And remember not long to christmas... My girlfriend will present me a Linux Mint shirt ;)

1GN4Z
1GN4Z

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm

vrkalak wrote:Clem the Developer of LinuxMint. Doesn't have another job ... the funds/donations that Mint generates, is it.
All the other Devs and the Mint Team are volunteers.

Same goes to pay for the official LinuxMint website and to keep this Forum running . . . donations!!

and poor Husse who works his tail off around here too!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby maxmir on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:16 am

Old threads never die, they just unravel.
maxmir
Level 1
Level 1

Postby samriggs on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:27 am

Just seen this post.
Although I just turned to Mint, it impressed me enough to make a OS theme for once, just wish I tried it long time ago, I wouldn't of had to reinstall my whole computer.
I've been passing the word along, already made 4 other converts to the Mint in one week.
It's the first OS I'll actually back up for once, although I always back up linux just not any version until now.
Right now money is tight or I would donate to keep this alive and well and get better (although I can't see getting more better as it is great as it is)
But I am an artist by trade so if you need anything let me know, I'd be happy to contribute.
If I ever learn java grrrrrrr and make some live wallpapers and apps I'll happily donate and also put a spot on my site I'm making for droid to let folks know about the Mint.
Keep up the great work.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
SolydK
samriggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby linrx on Tue May 29, 2012 11:30 am

Maybe I am wrong i just happen to come from a spiritual track when i was comparing asian temples to western chruches for a period of say, not long. :| i just find that there monastics in asia where they seriously go without money, they call them forest monks or so i was led to believe, lah. And then there were also the organised temples where they accept donations and are normally led by an abott. As for the churches they too have their own set of accounting and these may bring or also turn people away.

Management style? Or is it about best practices?

.. Seeing Linux Mint coming this far, or so I reckon, we have quite a community here already.

Ain't too eager to offer any suggestions, yet , I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, or am i wrong?

Anybody can point me to a tutorial on how I can beat Linux Mint and drive clem out of biz with a newer flavour? just kidding :twisted:
linrx

Postby steveking on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Hear hear,

The only problem I can see is tax? wont us funding Mint class it as a business and therefore make it pay VAT and suchlike? If any money I donate goes straight to the Mint dev team then I am more than happy to do it!
2nd gen core i5 : 8Gb RAM : AMD Radeon HD 6770 1Gb GDDR5 : 1Tb 7500 SATA

cpanel Login - The Easy Way To Log Into Your cPanel Hosting
steveking
Level 3
Level 3

Postby linrx on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:29 pm

That's the irony that I am facing to. Was said to be helping a girl from my neighbourhood with her varsity project where she actually bought a domain name and then began selling music that was said to come from legitimate sources. After awhile later she was cleverer when she was already clever, she pushed the paypal purchase engine away and made the Wordpress-powered site into a free membership approach and put in solely a donation option instead. The complication as I'd felt, like steveking mentioned below is always about VAT and suchlike, put in a donation button and at least the endeavour sounds like a not-for-profit, else having to register a commercial business entity with all the taxes and profit declarations - seriously I was never into tax laws - thought I'd get a full-time job instead and see whether online donations might be a viable practice that's gonna become part of my life.
linrx

Postby anandrkris on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:27 pm

I did donate a small amount few months back . Since someone pointed out T-shirt. Am reminded of another merchndise - if you're looking for stickers, buy it from http://www.librestickers.com/. .10 euros goes to Mint team as donation for every Mint sticker purchased. I bought some KDE and Mint stickers. Aluminium one looks awesome. :D
Checked Linuxmint site donor page for contribution from librestickers and the claim is true indeed! Mr. Holmes, you see! 8)
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path
anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Postby zolar1 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:32 am

Alas, I am too poor to help financially. But if I win the Mega Millions or Powerball jackpots, you can be sure I would donate.

Does Mint have a 501(c) rating? (AKA non profit?).

One thing people can do is use a torrent program and spread Mint that way, thus saving bandwidth (and money).
zolar1
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xenopeek on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:49 am

zolar1 wrote:Does Mint have a 501(c) rating? (AKA non profit?).

No, and not to burst any bubbles but Linux Mint is not based in the US.

And this topic has been necro bumped enough times. Locked.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Ideas & Thoughts