No Resolution Options on Elyssa

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

No Resolution Options on Elyssa

Post by subslug »

I just installed Elyssa in place of Daryna and have gotten the nVidia drivers working fine but I'm stuck in 50Hz freq. @ 1360x768 which isn't idea and I have no options to change anything. The screen resolution tool doesn't list any higher options.
There's not really anything in my xorg.conf file that I could edit to change the settings...

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	Option		"NoLogo"	"True"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
	Defaultdepth	24
EndSection
Compiz does seem to work and I guess as far as things go, this set up is usable but, it looks like a step back as far as fonts go.
Any ideas besides go back to Daryna?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No Resolution Options on Elyssa

Post by 67GTA »

This is because of the new version of xorg. It auto configures your hardware at each boot, instead of reading the xorg.conf file each time. It is still a little buggy. Open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo displayconfig-gtk
There are two tabs. One for your monitor, and one for your graphics card. If your exact monitor isn't listed, just choose generic. and your desired resolution. Reboot. Xorg.conf is now basically a reference file. It is inly good for small tweaks like modelines, etc. If your lucky enough to have all of your hardware/monitor correctly detected, you can even boot without a xorg.conf file.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

That sudo displayconfig-gtk trick helped me get to where I wanted to be.
Thanks for that and the info about xorg.conf not being used anymore.

First it was the XFree86 files now the xorg.conf files, I guess we'll hope someday Linux developers will figured out an X server setup that they like.
Etoja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Etoja »

67GTA, thanks for the reply. I am one of the numerous sufferers of buggy monitor administration in Linux. I've done what you suggested and it works ... well, until the next reboot. After a fresh reboot the system reverts to certain strange resolution (no idea where it comes from) and I have to reset it manually via Nvidia driver interface to 1280x1024@75....
Very sad story, I do really hate to go back to windows...
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

You might have to manually add that to your xorg file. Look in your filesystem and post a copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Etoja wrote:67GTA, thanks for the reply. I am one of the numerous sufferers of buggy monitor administration in Linux. I've done what you suggested and it works ... well, until the next reboot. After a fresh reboot the system reverts to certain strange resolution (no idea where it comes from) and I have to reset it manually via Nvidia driver interface to 1280x1024@75....
Very sad story, I do really hate to go back to windows...
I'm afraid I had the same problem and never found a solution but I didn't try adding anything to my xorg.conf file. I re-loaded Daryna which doesn't seem to have the same issues as Elyssa does.

Does anyone know if I could save my xorg setup from Daryna and paste the contents from it to the Elyssa xorg file?
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

A lot of people have had luck migrating their Daryna xorg.conf files to Elyssa. It is worth a try.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

67GTA wrote:A lot of people have had luck migrating their Daryna xorg.conf files to Elyssa. It is worth a try.
Heh,
Well I got al ready to give this a try, saved Mint 4's xorg.conf file then grabbed my Mint 5 disc and rebooted but for whatever reason this time the cd wouldn't even boot. So, I re-downloaded the updated 5.0 version, burned to disc and booted up and installed Elyssa and my resolution was perfect :?: Even after activating the nVidia drivers.

I have no guess what happened other than, must have been a fluke but it works and that's all I care about. :)

FYI: I had a look at the new xorg.conf file and this one doesn't really have anything in it either. I guess Mint just picked up on something that it missed the last time, who knows.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The new xorg version is made to auto configure at each boot. It uses dbus, hal, and xrandr to give it the info it needs to configure gfx cards and monitors. If your hardware is correctly detected, you can even boot without a xorg.conf file. The xorg.conf file is basically used as a reference file now. It is only good for small tweaks such as modelines and such.
Etoja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Etoja »

It seems the problem gone away completely in new Gloria. Thanks folks! Gloria to "Gloria"! :D
Etoja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Etoja »

I've just pluged in a new much bigger monitor and, lo and behold! The Gloria picked it up without issuing any warnings and adjusted itself perfectly - even the refresh rate was what the doctor ordered. I am very impressed considering that permanent adjustments of video cards & monitors used to be such a painful topic under Linux. That's a great step in the right direction.

Return to “Hardware Support”