enable multiple rows in the taskbar

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
pyrates

enable multiple rows in the taskbar

Post by pyrates »

This is a feature that windows has had since 1995. So I would like to get this idea into linux mint.

Allow me to drag the top part of the task bar, so that I can set it to have multiple rows. It seems that on any linux distribution I've tried, all that does is make the stuff inside it bigger. I've always configured the task bar in windows to have 2 rows minimum because I tend to have a lot of stuff open. It also spreads the icons in the system tray so that they are using the multiple rows too.

Here's how it should work:

1. Taskbar starts out on the bottom
2. I right click on it and select "lock the taskbar" that has a tick beside it.
3. This unlocks the taskbar
4. I then see a section where I can expand the area where the start button is
5. I move my mouse cursor to the top of the taskbar until an arrow with an arrow pointing up and an arrow pointing down shows up
6. I hold down my mouse button and drag it so that the row increases from one to two.
7. I can keep doing this until I am satisfied with the number of rows I want.
8. When I am done, I let go of the mouse button.
9. I right click on the taskbar and click on "lock the tarkbar" that does not have a tick beside it this time.
10. I repeat that and now see a tick beside "lock the taskbar".
11. With the taskbar locked again, I know this will then stay and I won't accidentally change the number of rows in the taskbar.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: enable multiple rows in the taskbar

Post by xenopeek »

You don't share for which desktop environment this is an idea, but I think for most this is possible. If you are using a desktop environment on which you think this isn't possible, and given that it looks like you've not asked about this you might want to start with that, then it is a suggestion you'd make to the developers of said desktop environment.

If you are using Cinnamon, and are using the latest version, and have gotten confirmed from others that you're not missing anything and indeed this isn't possible, then please see the forum rules at the top. Though Cinnamon is a Linux Mint project, as with all other desktop environments--please make the suggestions for Cinnamon to the developers directly (we're not going to copy & paste your post from here to there, and do the back and forth with you as follow up questions come from the developer community :wink:). Perhaps you've find somebody else has already suggest this over there.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

As a side note: The steps you described as "how it should work" are almost exactly how you would add multiple panels in any orientation you desire to XFCE.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
chiaretto

Post by chiaretto »

A solution for multiple rows in the taskbar.

https://github.com/posto/cinnamon-multi ... stallation

Works fine.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”