ELYSSA WON'T BOOT!!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joe Mama

ELYSSA WON'T BOOT!!!

Post by Joe Mama »

Ok so I'm a huge Mint fan and ever since I discovered Daryna I've been getting all my friends to give it a try as well. I think Mint is the best distro by far, and I thought Elyssa would be a major improvement, but I ran into a showstopper.

The live CD for Elyssa works fine. I can boot into a regular Gnome environment and do stuff (besides going online but that's because of my network card and it happens in every distro. A post-install ndiswrapper fixes it up). So I figured it's ok to install over Daryna. I did so by clicking the install icon on the desktop and going through the installer as usual, choosing to format my Daryna partition. When I got finished I just rebooted, took out the CD, and waited to see how Elyssa was.

Unfortunately, I didn't get that far. Elyssa will not boot. It just sits there at the splash screen with a progress bar bouncing left and right. When I press Alt+F2 to see what's going on behind the scenes, I get just a black screen. It sits there for a really long time doing nothing. Well I was pretty pissed as you can imagine. As much as I love Mint, an OS not being able to boot from a fresh install is really uncacceptable. So I reinstalled Daryna over my Elyssa installation in order to post this message asking for help.

Why won't Elyssa boot?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re: ELYSSA WON'T BOOT!!!

Post by Guest »

gamx wrote:I suspect you have a initrd problem which is similar to the one in http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13330 which plagues me as well :(

You should try editing the grub loader entry for Elyssa to exclude the splash and quiet options which will dump the whole kernel loading process onto your screen. Then post the most recent lines before the kernel stops loading here for our persual :wink:
Yeah I checked out that guy's post and it is extremely similar to my dilemma. I think it is exactly the same actually. I never let the boot hang long enough to get to a command line but I just tried and it did. It seems as if there is no solution for this. I guess that's it for me and mint...
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

I think this thread is the same as . . .

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13330

I turned off quiet and splash, but each time I rebooted (soft reset) it stopped in different places.
Computersleuth

Post by Computersleuth »

Missed wrote:I think this thread is the same as . . .

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13330

I turned off quiet and splash, but each time I rebooted (soft reset) it stopped in different places.
Check out the latest on the thread cited here. I found some new stuff that may be of help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”