LMDE First Boot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

LMDE First Boot

Post by borgward »

What packages are needed needed for first lmde boot? Do I need to add anything?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: LMDE First Boot

Post by kurotsugi »

it's grub and it should be installed along with LMDE.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

The installer included GRUB during installation. It looks like additional packages (in addition to GRUB) may be required to boot the new system:

LMDE installer (manual partitioning) states "During the install, you will be given time to chroot into /target and install any packages that will be needed to boot your new system"

What additional packages might I need?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

You don't need that manual mounting mode unless you have a good reason, like installing LMDE across more than one physical drive. Go back and select the default partitioning method.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

I have a good reason. You do need to do manual partitioning even if installing on only one drive. In my case I want a /tmp and /home. I need a large /tmp and I desire a /home. The default install does not meet my requirements.

/
/tmp
swap
home

See http://imagebin.org/299394 for the installer statement.

Is there some reason why Mint does not want anyone to carve up their drive for the LMDE install?

I talked to several long time Debian users, and they think the manual install instructions are whac, and wonder if there is something Mint is trying to protect. I have seen similar complaints about the LMDE 201303 manual installer as well.

I am able to easily carve up the drive for linuxmint 13, 14, and 16, why not Linux Mint Debian? It seems that LMDE is designed to obstruct one from duing so. Am I right?
rmockler

Post by rmockler »

Your list of partitions shows: /, /tmp, swap and home. If I were carving up my drive in the fashion you want, I would use: /, /tmp, /scan and /home
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

borgward wrote:I talked to several long time Debian users, and they think the manual install instructions are whac, and wonder if there is something Mint is trying to protect. I have seen similar complaints about the LMDE 201303 manual installer as well.

I am able to easily carve up the drive for linuxmint 13, 14, and 16, why not Linux Mint Debian? It seems that LMDE is designed to obstruct one from duing so. Am I right?
Of course not. For some reason, you're talking from the position like "Mint does evil things, I must bash it". This is not going to get you any help. The situation is much simpler than that. LMDE does not receive as much attention as the main edition does, and some things may be missing. The current installer is fine for most users who only need a root partition and maybe a separate /home. For the rare use cases like a separate /tmp or /boot, or installing across more than one physical drive, a manual mounting mode has been added.
If there is enough demand (i.e. such use cases stop being rare), the installer might be modified for the next ISO release.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

rmockler wrote:Your list of partitions shows: /, /tmp, swap and home. If I were carving up my drive in the fashion you want, I would use: /, /tmp, /scan and /home
What is /scan? never heard of that before. Why use it? Advantage over swap?
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Monsta wrote:
borgward wrote:I talked to several long time Debian users, and they think the manual install instructions are whac, and wonder if there is something Mint is trying to protect. I have seen similar complaints about the LMDE 201303 manual installer as well.

Monsta wrote:Of course not. For some reason, you're talking from the position like "Mint does evil things, I must bash it".
You are mis interpreting my question. I am not taking the position "Mint does evil things" I am not taking any position. I was thinking, and it has been suggested that the manual partition part of the installer is the way it is because Mint is trying to prevent something bad from happening.
Monsta wrote:The current installer is fine for most users who only need a root partition and maybe a separate /home.
How does one get a seperate /home w/o doing manual partitioning?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

borgward wrote:How does one get a seperate /home w/o doing manual partitioning?
Easy. Right-click on any partition in the list -> "Assign to /home". Just like setting the root partition.
Or double-click on a partition and select /home in the appeared dialog.

BTW, looks like that dialog also allows you to set a separate /tmp partition, and even allows you to set a custom mount point. I haven't tested that though.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

What list?

By doing so, I could create the 4 partitions I want:

/
/tmp
swap
/home ?

This is during the install, or afterwards with GParted.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

borgward wrote:What list?
In the installer's GUI, of course - after selecting the drive to install.
whittycat

Post by whittycat »

[quote="Monsta"]The current installer is fine for most users who only need a root partition and maybe a separate /home.

I have used Debian for years but this is my first attempt to install LMDE. With the live DVD (I am installing it on a disk of its own) I got as far as gparted and allocated a primary partition and a swap partition. Moving on I am told I need to allocate a root partition but gparted wont let me do that. The word 'mount' occurs in the 'partition' menu but it is greyed out so there is no way I can set a mount point. Most installers make this very easy. Gparted help is no help at all. Where do I go from here please?
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

That is odd, because GParted works the way it should for mint 13, 14, and 16. I recently did a LMDE Manual install, writing my own fstab, and following all the other instructions. My partitions are:

/
/tmp
swap
/home

My laptop booted successfully, but I find that /tmp is not mounted, and when I tried to use gparted to mount it, the "mount" option is greyed out. I don't understand why GParted functions differently for LMDE201403, and LMDE 201303 than it does for Linuxmint.
whittycat

Post by whittycat »

The word 'mount' occurs in the 'partition' menu but it is greyed out so there is no way I can set a mount point.

I noticed that a bit later in this thread Monsta says 'right click on the partition name' and this is indeed what I should do. I did that and assigned the parition to / so I should be able to finish the install ok. Sorry to be a bit slow.

Return to “LMDE Archive”