Firefox 3 beta

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frisco

Firefox 3 beta

Post by frisco »

The Firefox browser that is the default in LM 5 is in my opinion the weakest link in the system, and it seems odd that a beta release would be the default web browser in a new release of a great Linux distro like Mint.

It is not as configurable as the 2 series, especially in the bookmarks area. Plus it just has a feel to it that seems sluggish or something. Please don't tell me how much you love Firefox 3, I am posting about my experience with it. :wink:

Firefox 3 will play videos at some sites, but not all, and some it will start the video but not finish it as it hangs about half way through; I never had this problem with any of the 2 series.

I went ahead and downloaded the latest 2, which has 14 at the end of the series number, and the old, good feeling about Firefox is back.

One problem: I cannot get Adobe Flash installed. When I use the command line, after unpacking the tar.gz, I get to the "installation path" section and nothing I put in there, like "/usr/lib/mozilla," works, even though that is where the generic Mozilla folder is. I have tried the /home/(name)/.mozilla folder but that yields an error message, too.

Any help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Firefox 3 beta

Post by Fred »

frisco,

I assume you had flash installed on version 3. Open the plug-in folder for firefox 3 and just copy over all the plug-ins to the 2.0 plug-in folder that is probably empty.

I never did have much satisfaction with the 2.0 version. 3.0 beta seemed a bit better and the RC that I am using now is much better, though still not what it should be.

We have just had different experiences. That in itself is not a good sign as far as general stability.

Fred
frisco

Post by frisco »

Fred wrote:frisco,

I assume you had flash installed on version 3. Open the plug-in folder for firefox 3 and just copy over all the plug-ins to the 2.0 plug-in folder that is probably empty.

I never did have much satisfaction with the 2.0 version. 3.0 beta seemed a bit better and the RC that I am using now is much better, though still not what it should be.

We have just had different experiences. That in itself is not a good sign as far as general stability.

Fred
Thank you, Fred. I will make those changes as soon as I get the Mint hard drive back in this machine.. I had to put the Vista hard drive in to get some files on CD to transfer to my Mint installation. I am very excited about finally having a Linux distribution that has solved a few big problems I was having before, most notably wifi; for some reason the ndiswrapper steps I took with Sabayon, Zenwalk and others did not work, but did with Mint, so I am staying with Mint.

I agree about the stability issue with the beta of Firefox 3. I am certain that will get resolved as time goes by; that team has produced the best browser over the years. It's just that I was surprised that a beta was included with a new, final release of a major distro instead of a tried and true Firefox 2 release. :?:

Anyway, thank you again for the plugin suggestion; I will now do that.

- Frisco
frisco

Post by frisco »

Something must have gotten corrupted when I was trying to install flash via command line, so I completely uninstalled FF2 and FF3, then reinstalled FF2. Everything's fine now and working properly.

Thanx for your suggestion.

Return to “Software & Applications”