Hello Linux Mint, goodbye Windows

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
david_bruni

Hello Linux Mint, goodbye Windows

Post by david_bruni »

Hello and greetings from deep in the heart of Texas.

I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, now I kinda wish it had been sooner, but I just dumped windows XP and replaced it with Linux Mint. I was a little hesitant at first, not knowing if everything would work correctly on my old laptop, but all those fears were put to rest during the install.

I was thinking what if my graphics card don't work. It worked right off the bat. I though, what if my wireless doesn't work. Not even a couple minutes into the install a window popped up and said it found some wireless connections and to pick mine. I thought, this is great. The last thing I was worried about was sound because I normally just use my old laptop for playing music at work. Well, it works too, no problems.

And all this only took about 15 or 20 minutes including getting all the latest updates. The last time I installed XP I think it took all day to get all the patches, fixes, service packs, etc. I have to say this was one of the easiest and most painless OS installs I think I've done in the last 20 years.

I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this possible. Now all I have to do is convince my wife and kids and everyone I know to get the Microsoft monkey off their backs too.

We're stopping support for XP so everyone upgrade to windows 8. I don't think so Microsoft. I've found something better.

Thanks Linux Mint,
David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Crewp

Re: Hello Linux Mint, goodbye Windows

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum. :D
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

And all this only took about 15 or 20 minutes including getting all the latest updates. The last time I installed XP I think it took all day to get all the patches
used to allow 2 Days to install all of the XP updates, after using my sp2 win cd ..
- even win_7 still takes a day to get everything .. ..

wheres Mint takes about an hour .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

used to allow 2 Days to install all of the XP updates, after using my sp2 win cd ..
- even win_7 still takes a day to get everything .. ..
http://download.wsusoffline.net/

;)
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Welcome to the Mint family. Have fun. :D
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jahid

Post by jahid »

Welcome to the Mint family............:mrgreen:

Sent from my Symphony W82 using Tapatalk
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yup:- got a copy of that
:D

- will be even more handy, when win_xp goes offline .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/

Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
david_bruni

Post by david_bruni »

Thank you, I appreciate it. Using a computer with Linux on it is actually fun and exciting again. So many new things to learn and try and not having to worry about the system crashing and causing you hours of untold grief. That's kinda nice.
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/
Can probably add BricsCAD to this list as an alternative to AutoCAD. I downloaded the 30 day trial last summer and it's a very good cad program. That was one thing that had been holding me back from switching to Linux. BricsCAD can read and write to AutoCAD's DWG drawing format, use lisp files, looks and operates almost exactly like AutoCAD but...only costs about $500 compared to Autocad's $4,500. I was very impressed with it.

Thanks for the welcome and the help,
David
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Welcome to a real OS from another convert. 8)
david_bruni wrote:We're stopping support for XP so everyone upgrade to windows 8.
With W8 in the mix this was the biggest mistake M$ ever made.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the family :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”