Mintupdate not working in Linux Mint 13 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Mintupdate not working in Linux Mint 13 KDE

Post by a_hippie »

Split off from this thread Mintupdate not working in Linux Mint 13 KDE which had been dead for 1 year: There had been no clear reason what was wrong and hence not clear way of solving the problem.
Karl
This bug is affecting me too on x86 32bit system with low memory.

I don't know how to use synaptic to do UPDATES, but synaptic does run.

This is irritating. Continuing my google search now.

mint 13 LTS here on this machine.

thank you, regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
--
Wishing you well
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mintupdate not working in Linux Mint 13 KDE

Post by a_hippie »

This is lame. Mint doesn't have a username search, so I had to google this entire site to find the last post I made to this thread. Work on this website folks!

a work around for the mint 13 32bit kde version is to open a terminal window.

Type in the following commands, add your password when prompted:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Now when you get to the config section, just select "n" to keep the current values! This will repeat several times.
once this is done, you will need to run the two commands above again--no kidding!

Now, reboot your computer.

Now you should get a bunch of mint update updates, but this time the buggy mint update manager app will actually run.

This thread should be sticky'd as I am sure many others are going to run into the same bugs...

Thank you

Regards,
--
Wishing you well
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

This MINTUPDATE BUG is really a bother. I have another 32 bit machine I'm putting back online for another friend and here is the same dang bug.

Mint hackers should address this!
mintupdate
danon@danon-Inspiron-8500 ~ $ QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/danon/.config/ibus/bus
mintUpdate.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Have apt-get update and apt-get upgraded and it still pukes after several reboots.

Man o man.

Regards,
--
Wishing you well
Rich J
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rich J »

Have you tried using Muon-updater instead? I understand this is the updater specific to KDE.

Rich
Rich J
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, a_hippie.
Mint doesn't have a username search, so I had to google this entire site to find the last post I made to this thread.
This statement is not really covered by the facts:
First of all you can use the Advanced search in order to locate posts written by a particular user (author).
Second and more important in this case, you can always locare your own posts, by using the "View your posts" link at the top of the page.
Last but not least, the address of this thread had been added at the end of the old thread, here.
So there was no real need to google for own post.
I don't know how to use synaptic to do UPDATES, but synaptic does run.
  • Launch Synaptic might be step #1.
  • Click on the [Status] button to make Synaptic display software packages grouped by status. Will be handy.
  • Click on [Refresh] software list button.
  • Mark the found updatable software packages. (Status: Updatable) Right-click and select for installation.
  • Click on [Apply] will be the last step.
Cannot/will not comment on the question whether mintUpdate malfunctions frequently on Mint KDE editions, because I use Cinnamon and xfce and have not experienced any such problem on Cinnamon and xfce. (Mint 13 / 14 / 16)

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”