Questions About LVM and New Distro

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
CptCrunch

Questions About LVM and New Distro

Post by CptCrunch »

So I have a Media Server that I use PlexMediaManager to manage my movies and tv shows. I tried Linux Mint 16 and didnt like it very much. I think most of my problems came from quirks within the DE itself. I am running Ubuntu with KDE and cant stand it, it looks ugly, its slow and I think its garbage. I am thinking about going Debian LMDE so I dont have to worry about updating to new releases and hopefully better performance. Right now I have a 1TB HD that I have linux installed on and 4x4TB hard drives as a LVM for my media storage needs.

If I took out my 1TB hard drive replaced it with a newer and much faster HD and then installed LMDE would I be able to mount my LVM?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Questions About LVM and New Distro

Post by xenopeek »

Moved to LMDE forum.

I suspect that will work fine. LMDE is based on Debian testing, and lvm2 is available on that (I don't run LMDE). You might have to install it, but it should work out of the box after that. Of course depends on what type filesystem is on it and whether you have disk encryption on it or not.

I haven't added a LVM disk to an existing installation (but I'm using LVM everywhere :wink:), so don't know if it will be auto-mounted through udev. You'll probably want to set up /etc/fstab to mount it properly for you at boot time.

`lsblk` will give you a nice overview of all block devices on your computer and clearly show you what LVM volumes you have. Make that `lsblk -o +UUID` to also show you the UUIDs you can use for configuring mounting them in /etc/fstab. Use `sudo vgdisplay` / `sudo pvdisplay` / `sudo lvdisplay` to respectively show you information about your LVM volume groups, LVM physical volumes, and LVM logical volumes. You might have to use vgchange to active a volume group first. See manpage of vgchange how to activate a volume group, so its logical volumes become available.

Once set up in /etc/fstab you would have no work from LVM.
CptCrunch

Post by CptCrunch »

xenopeek wrote:Moved to LMDE forum.

I suspect that will work fine. LMDE is based on Debian testing, and lvm2 is available on that (I don't run LMDE). You might have to install it, but it should work out of the box after that. Of course depends on what type filesystem is on it and whether you have disk encryption on it or not.

I haven't added a LVM disk to an existing installation (but I'm using LVM everywhere :wink:), so don't know if it will be auto-mounted through udev. You'll probably want to set up /etc/fstab to mount it properly for you at boot time.

`lsblk` will give you a nice overview of all block devices on your computer and clearly show you what LVM volumes you have. Make that `lsblk -o +UUID` to also show you the UUIDs you can use for configuring mounting them in /etc/fstab. Use `sudo vgdisplay` / `sudo pvdisplay` / `sudo lvdisplay` to respectively show you information about your LVM volume groups, LVM physical volumes, and LVM logical volumes. You might have to use vgchange to active a volume group first. See manpage of vgchange how to activate a volume group, so its logical volumes become available.

Once set up in /etc/fstab you would have no work from LVM.
Awesome, Thanks! Im very new to backing up with linux. I actually dont have anything really that I care for if I lost them except the plexmediamanger database. I could always re-build it but that usually takes about 8 hours and want to prevent that. Do you know of any way?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sorry, have no experience with plexmediamanger and I don't have any big backupping needs so a simple bash script suffices to get my backups done.

Return to “LMDE Archive”