On-line Banking with LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
merryoakparker

On-line Banking with LMDE

Post by merryoakparker »

Is anyone using LMDE for on-line banking? I've found that most banks, credit Unions, etc seem to only work with a Windows IE browser. If anyone is using LMDE for on-line financial servicies, how do you do it.
Thanks
merryoakparker
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: On-line Banking with LMDE

Post by gtsfer »

I do, and without any trouble running LMDE myself. Make sure you run the Iced-Tea-Web-Control Panel utility after install. Just click through it and do "OK". Make sure in Firefox Add-ons that this is enabled and running. Try clearing cache and cookies too. I've never had a problem with banking or any other website for that matter.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

I use online banking all the time with mint/firefox with extensions etc, but I'm not using any sort of debian edition, are you sure it's the DE causing the problem and what exactly is happening? It'd be ironic for one of the worst browsers around to be the most compatible for something like banking lol :roll:
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I too use LMDE, and have not noticed any problems with on-line banking. I access three differents banks, and several credit card accounts every month using Firefox.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

I've been using Opera for online-banking in Germany for about ten years now. No problem at all. I only have to ensure that the bank's server(s) are allowed to set cookies which I normally don't. Neither Iced Tea nor some other kind of Java is enabled for the banksters.
Edit: The first years were with Win XP, but for three years now it's Linux, the last two of them LMDE.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I use regularly LMDE for banking (with Firefox). Zero issues. Better than windows (more secure, faster...).
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I use LMDE and Firefox for my on line banking without any trouble ;)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

If your bank will only recognize MS "Internet Explorer" .. :x ...(some do)
There are extensions for Chrome/Chromium and Firefox that simulate them as IE.

In Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... d?hl=en-US

and

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hfjgkhfcgf
Switches User-Agent strings to mimic, spoof or fake other browsers or bots.
The User Agent Switcher changes your user agent to spoof other devices and/or browsers. You can put on your IE hat and slip past virtual bouncers into Internet Explorer-only websites; blend in as an iPhone or see how sites render when they think you're Google's search spider.................
Personally I do not use Firefox. You will have to find those yourself... :wink:
Oxihjen

Post by Oxihjen »

Using iceweasel/firefox, midori, chrome and safari on multiple devices for 2 different banks without issues. Please don't tell me they use some kind of MS activeX thingie over at yours?:o
Maybe the support/faq on the banking websites can tell you more.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

I stopped using IE on my Windows XP system a couple of years ago when one of my banks made IE 9 the minimum level supported, and XP could only have IE 8. I made Firefox my default browser at that time. I have had no problems with online banking for several banks and a credit union with Firefox (which I keep up-to-date) from Windows XP. I have just installed LMDE 201403 Cinnamon and so far have had no problems using Firefox for online banking. I did not change the Firefox setup from what was installed as part of LMDE.

Ron
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

merryoakparker wrote:Is anyone using LMDE for on-line banking? I've found that most banks, credit Unions, etc seem to only work with a Windows IE browser. If anyone is using LMDE for on-line financial servicies, how do you do it.
Thanks
merryoakparker

Yes Merryoakparker, I use LMDE with the firefox browser, and no trouble here either. I don't think it's an OS issue as much as a browser issue. Check your bank's website for system requirements and get back to us with more detail.
xieu90

Post by xieu90 »

No Problem with online banking.
but not sure if heartbleed problem is there or not. at least money in bank is still there until now :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”