Hi, from a newbie from Quebec, Canada

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nuagedeboucane

Hi, from a newbie from Quebec, Canada

Post by nuagedeboucane »

Hello everybody. I' m a newcomer from Win XP. I had already heard about Linux, a few years ago. I even got a Live USB stick with Ubuntu (don't remember wich version) What I saw at this moment, was really appealing. So I have tried to install it on my second HD, and leave Win XP, so I could dual boot. But since the terminology differs from Microsoft, (disk drive names: C:, D: versus SDA, SDA1, SDB) I have erased my Win XP HD. That made me no longer wish to use Linux, even if it wasn't the OS' fault.

At the time I heard that M$ wished all of us, XP users, to buy Win 8.x (In my case, it was more like buy a new computer = NO WAY), I looked back at Linux, and found Mint. It' s not perfect. But which OS is perfect? I have very little knowledge of UNIX based systems. (I have taken a course like 25 years ago) I remember when the Sperry 5000 (the Unix machine on which we were learning) passed away. Then, the teacher gave us 5 1/4 floppies with Minix on it, to continue practicing.

So I had 3 old computers to install Linux on. I began on the oldest, which I have still not already finished. (S3 Virge video card driver). My second one is completely functionnal. I will wait for the release of Mint 17, to do a clean dual boot install on my 3rd machine, and then, upgrade the other two. After that, since this will a LTS version, I don't intend to flip flop between other versions, until this one is no longer supported.

Thanks for reading :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Hi, from a newbie from Quebec, Canada

Post by The-Wizard »

if you dont want to play around then you cant go far wrong with the LTS version, or if you want longer usage the LMDE version, but this one can be more difficult to get working.

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard

if you need to ask on the forums for help please post the exact details of the hardware which you are having problems, a good start would be to cut and past the report from the terminal command inxi -F
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Congrats! Welcome in the Linux Mint world. I'm sure you will enjoy the journey.
I lived in Montreal for a few months some years ago :wink:
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Welcome to Linux Mint, and the Mint forum. :D
jahid

Post by jahid »

Welcome to the Mint family........ :mrgreen:
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint :mrgreen:

Read everything you can -- Forums - Wiki - IRC

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
What works for Ubuntu, usually works for Mint > http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
Linux Alternative to Windows > http://www.linuxalt.com/

Remember, all OS-Distro, Apps, DE/WM are Open-Source and have a Help-Forum
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the family :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”