no yahoo, ny times, bbc videos after install

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

no yahoo, ny times, bbc videos after install

Post by vinoman »

Installed Mint 5 yesterday and videos don't work in Yahoo, youtube, nytimes and bbc.!
they worked via live cd and now that Mint is installed they don't. why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: no yahoo, ny times, bbc videos after install

Post by rivenought »

I performed a clean-install of Mint 5, and have run all of the Level 1, 2, and 3 updates. I can view YouTube, and I just watched BBC's news feed. I cannot duplicate the problems you are having. You may wish to backtrack your upgrade path and see at what point there may have been something unusual occur. Good luck.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Since I just installed it yesterday I reinstalled it and this time when I was doing the updates there is a window that pops up when it is going to install it mentions to replace or keep some files and the first time I said replace, that may have caused some problems, but this time I said keep and I'm able to get NYTimes to play videos but not BBC at this point.

Maybe some one will come up with a fix :?
Last edited by vinoman on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Vinoman,

I just did some more in-depth testing on my end. My first test with the BBC was by clicking on the "Watch/Listen to BBC News" on the main page. That method works just fine.

Checking further into the site, I clicked on the "One Minute World News" link. Up popped some choices for quality and player. In between tests, I cleared my cookies and cache. These are my test results:

High Quality + Windows Media Player = attempts to play, but fails.
Standard Quality + Windows Media Player = grainy and choppy, but plays.
High Quality + Real Player = excellent playback.
Standard Quality + Real Player = grainy and choppy, but plays.

So, since I had the best result from High Quality + Real Player, that might be the correct combination for you to test. There is the option to play in a stand-alone player, but I did not go that far. I just wanted to help verify that Mint 5 does provide great playback on the BBC. Please test this out and post back with your results. Good luck!
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

rivenought: Yes, went to One minute world news and High-quality + realplayer worked fine! Thanks for the tip. :)

Yahoo is working and youtube works. I guess that by reinstalling and selecting "keep" instead of "replace " during updates may have solved the problem. If that's the case why would Mint give you the option at all?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

When I did my clean-install, I only had one file that requested to keep/replace, and it was BASH script in the first batch of updates, I believe. I replaced it. Maybe something in your first attempt did not take hold, but your second try loaded everything properly. It happens. I have had installs stop in the middle and say the disc was bad, then turn around and work flawlessly a minute later. Could be dust on the laser lens in the drive, a smudge on the disc, or even the day of the week or phase of the moon. Odd things do happen, so you are in good company.

I am glad you have everything working. Firefox 3 has always worked for me, and flash works much better than previously. I do not have fancy whiz-bang 3D compiz effects enabled, so that might be part of my higher success rate. Anyway, I know you are much more satisfied with everything working properly. Have fun!
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

rivenought wrote:Vinoman,

I just did some more in-depth testing on my end. My first test with the BBC was by clicking on the "Watch/Listen to BBC News" on the main page. That method works just fine.

Checking further into the site, I clicked on the "One Minute World News" link. Up popped some choices for quality and player. In between tests, I cleared my cookies and cache. These are my test results:

High Quality + Windows Media Player = attempts to play, but fails.
Standard Quality + Windows Media Player = grainy and choppy, but plays.
High Quality + Real Player = excellent playback.
Standard Quality + Real Player = grainy and choppy, but plays.

So, since I had the best result from High Quality + Real Player, that might be the correct combination for you to test. There is the option to play in a stand-alone player, but I did not go that far. I just wanted to help verify that Mint 5 does provide great playback on the BBC. Please test this out and post back with your results. Good luck!
I've had similar problems with videos at times. I just tried what worked for you (high quality + Real player), and it didn't work for me on the one-minute news videos. Mplayer just choked and refused to do anything. (It also refuses to play many videos on nba.com.) I could get the main BBC videos, however, as well as Yahoo videos.

Is there another and better Windows Media or Real player available?
mkb

Post by mkb »

CavalierBob wrote:I'm going to guess you got a bunch of updates after the install. Have you tried to reboot?

Bob
Just installed, rebooted and ... me too! No Auntie Beeb. Working fine on live CD and prior to that on Daryna (reformatted disk for clean install).

I'm very shallow technically, so don't know which way to turn now .... <weep>
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Not sure what to tell you guys. I just tested it again and the BBC played for me. Once I chose High Quality + Real Player, the One Minute World News stated on a count of five. You can see my system specs in the signature - absolutely nothing fancy.

Once I did the clean install, I have run only updates through mintUpdate. I have levels 1, 2, and 3 enabled, as well as the dist-upgrade option checked. I have not done any updates via Synaptic. I have not even opened Synaptic up on this machine. I even checked with my old Dell 4300. It works, as well.

Have you clicked on the refresh button a few times in the mintUpdate? Sometimes it takes an extra click to load an update. Other than logging out and back in, or rebooting, not sure what else to tell you. I just know everything works for me. Maybe you can backtrack and see where your install is different from mine. Good luck.
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

rivenought wrote:Not sure what to tell you guys. I just tested it again and the BBC played for me. Once I chose High Quality + Real Player, the One Minute World News stated on a count of five. You can see my system specs in the signature - absolutely nothing fancy.

Once I did the clean install, I have run only updates through mintUpdate. I have levels 1, 2, and 3 enabled, as well as the dist-upgrade option checked. I have not done any updates via Synaptic. I have not even opened Synaptic up on this machine. I even checked with my old Dell 4300. It works, as well.

Have you clicked on the refresh button a few times in the mintUpdate? Sometimes it takes an extra click to load an update. Other than logging out and back in, or rebooting, not sure what else to tell you. I just know everything works for me. Maybe you can backtrack and see where your install is different from mine. Good luck.
I was able to get the one-minute WN to work only if I clicked the "play in stand-alone player" option, and I have to do it every time. But that's good enough for me for now.

Return to “Sound”