KDE software with MINT 5

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Royo
Level 1
Level 1

KDE software with MINT 5

Post by Royo »

Hi all is it OK to use Amarok and K9Copy with the latest version as a newbie I was unsure if it is OK to use KDE software with Gnome. Will I cause problems or get error messages doing this?

Thanks Roy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: KDE software with MINT 5

Post by Zwopper »

I run Amarok, there is no problem, just some additional files to download.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Today I installed k9copy in Linux Mint Elyssa rev. 1 and I am so pleased! I thought I was going to need build-essential to install it, but it is there in the package manager.

And, I finally figured out how to use k9copy. I was having problems with it not being a "clean" playable copy, as it had some titles I didn't want (such as program episode selection). The disc in question contained 3 episodes and and extra copy of each episode on the disc. I unticked 'keep original menus' and now I just get the episodes, and only the episodes I tick off in chapters and none of the extra stuff. Hurray, I don't need Blindows! Braseros disc burner worked fine except for a small bug where it tries to check disc integrity. Other than that small problem, it is all fine and dandy.

I'm free, free of Blindows!
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I prefer the funtionality of KDE apps over Gnome's. I use amarok, akregator, k3b, etc in Gnome. When I use Gnome, I install kcontrol so I can change the KDE apps appearance to look more like Gnome's. That way you can tell KDE apps what theme, font, icon sets, etc to use.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
xnef1025

Post by xnef1025 »

Possible shortcut for you, Cubby. Instead of using Brasero to burn the iso, just pull up the directory you saved it to in a file manager and right click on the file. There will be a "Write to Disc..." option and you'll be off and running. Writing iso files to disc is built into the OS itself, no extra programs needed. I've never done an actual test to know if either way writes faster, so there could be an advantage to Brasero if it's significantly faster than the built in writing. Still, definitely a bonus to have the feature built in to the OS either way.
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Thanks 67GTA for reminding me about amarok, which is my favourite music player. Patiently await the Mint KDE Elyssa version, but in the meantime, I can add some more of the KDE applications I enjoy and am used to using.

And thank you xnef1025! I noticed that there was another disc burning utility besides Brasero on this OS. Short cuts are always appreciated. On my Blindows parttition, I use imgburn after turning away from Nero. But this will be "easy peasy" as they say in the UK. I'll give it a try. These are my own discs, and unencrypted (Poirot), so I am glad to be able to do this in LINUX with ease and not too much time taken.

Return to “Software & Applications”