12 hour time format

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billmoseley

12 hour time format

Post by billmoseley »

So Mint's easily the best Linux Distro by a long way and all, but for the love of God, when will they make it reasonably simple to set the time to 12 hour format? A) Shouldn't it ship that way by default? B) I seriously have to follow a link to a web page to get an obscure code to put in that will maybe work if I take the time to figure it out? Seems like this should be a pretty easy fix for the people that can build Cinnamon. Again, love Mint and all, but how is this so inscrutable?
sammiev

Re: 12 hour time format

Post by sammiev »

I can use the 12 or 24 hour time in Cinnamon. I have my time set on the system for 24hr but on this forum your post shows up as the 12hr format. You just need to change your settings to what you prefer.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

billmoseley wrote:A) Shouldn't it ship that way by default?
No, because 24-hour clock is the most commonly used time notation in the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock
billmoseley wrote:B) I seriously have to follow a link to a web page to get an obscure code to put in that will maybe work if I take the time to figure it out?
If you want the same layout as the default, but with 12-hour clock, just change the "Date format for the panel" from:

Code: Select all

%a %b %e, %H:%M
to:

Code: Select all

%a %b %e, %I:%M %p 
Sure it can be made perhaps easier, but as you know Cinnamon continues to see much development for each release so let's see what 1.8 release brings :wink:
billmoseley

Post by billmoseley »

Right. It's not that I can't do it, it's just that it's so inscrutable. Thanks for the help everybody, I appreciate the positive attitude of the Mint community. I do feel it's important that we nitpick though. Otherwise details like this degrade the experience, you know?
writeonmatt

Post by writeonmatt »

This information was incredibly easy to access and useful. ...Honestly, I'd have been a Linux goner years ago w/o all the amazing willingness and help of everyone registered. Thanks for the info on the clock.
lexon

Post by lexon »

billmoseley wrote:Right. It's not that I can't do it, it's just that it's so inscrutable. Thanks for the help everybody, I appreciate the positive attitude of the Mint community. I do feel it's important that we nitpick though. Otherwise details like this degrade the experience, you know?
I have been using Mint since Mint 6 and up to maybe Mint 13, the techis in their desire to make things a little difficult made it a little harder. I wonder if there is a former Windows programmer helping out.
Mint 9 still seems to have been the best Mint version.

L
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

lexon wrote:the techis in their desire to make things a little difficult made it a little harder.
I don't quite follow how making it "a little difficult" wouldn't make it "a little harder" :) Anyway, Rome wasn't built in a day either. Look here for upcoming improvement : http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/03/c ... rovements/
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Easier:

Right-click the clock on the panel -> Properties.

and do what you want.

Sheng-Chieh
getafixsa

Post by getafixsa »

On my version of linux mint the time read back to me sounds just crazy in th 24 hour format.
so under th region & language window, Date & Time, Time format I put pH:MM:SS AMPM
Now the time spoken is understandable. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”