Wifi Authentication Repeated

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lazylazuli

Wi-Fi Authentication Repeat

Post by lazylazuli »

Hi! New Linux user here, I am booting Linux Mint xfce from a USB flash drive. I have yet to actually install Linux yet because it says to ensure that the computer should be connected to the internet, which I am having trouble doing. I'm guessing there isn't any problem with my wireless drivers, because my computer is able to detect the network and see the network name, but every time I try to connect to it, I input the network password (which I have quadruple checked to be correct), and then it tries to connect, but then the authentication popup just comes back, and it does this every single time I try to connect.

I am on an HP Pavilion dm1 netbook. Please help if you can!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Wi-Fi Authentication Repeat

Post by The-Wizard »

whilst live booting, in a terminal run.. inxi -Fnx cut and paste the result with your question in the NETWORK forums,

wizard
lazylazuli

Wifi Authentication Repeated

Post by lazylazuli »

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Fnx
System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.10.2 (Gtk 2.24.20) Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dm1 Notebook PC version: 0696110000204600000320100
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3387 version: 36.0A Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: F.02 date: 10/11/2011
CPU:       Dual core AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 6585.84
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1650.00 MHz 2: 1650.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320] bus-ID: 00:01.0
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 07:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: a0:b3:cc:76:52:07
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter driver: bcma-pci-bridge bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: e0:06:e6:18:3d:38
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2502.5GB (0.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS725050A7 size: 500.1GB temp: 0C
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: U3_Cruzer_Micro size: 2.0GB temp: 0C 3: USB id: /dev/sdc model: My_Passport_0748 size: 2000.4GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID: / size: 1.8G used: 35M (2%) fs: overlayfs ID: swap-1 size: 4.26GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.1C mobo: N/A gpu: 62.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 168 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 370.9/3554.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Last edited by lazylazuli on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
lazylazuli

Post by lazylazuli »

Thanks, I actually realized that there was a separate forum for Xfce, so I posted in that forum instead.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wifi Authentication Repeated

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

lazylazuli wrote:(I previously posted this on a different forum and I realized that I posted in Main Edition instead of Xfce. However, a reply on that forum asked me to cut and paste the result of inxi-fnx so here it is in case it helps)
Threads merged.

Do not make duplicate threads/cross-post. You can use the "Report this post" button (inverted triangle with a red "!" mark near the thread title) and request your thread to be moved to the appropriate [sub-]forum.

FYI, you can also edit and delete your post, as well as quote other messages using the icons on that same area.

READ: How To Get Help!
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

lazylazuli wrote:my computer is able to detect the network and see the network name, but every time I try to connect to it, I input the network password (which I have quadruple checked to be correct), and then it tries to connect, but then the authentication popup just comes back, and it does this every single time I try to connect.
I have my router set to only allow a certain number of connections. I get the same behavior you described when my friend brings his laptop and cell phone (both of which are allowed - by me, lol, not the router - to connect) occasionally. His laptop, his cell phone, my laptop, my cell phone, my (WiFi-enabled) printer, and another cell phone that I use as a (small) tablet... are one more device than I have my router configured to accept simultaneously. There are a few other circumstances which could probably (possibly?) cause a router to reject a device even when both are working properly and the device in question has the valid password. If you have multiple devices connected - or attempting to connect - to your router, try turning them all off, powering off your router for a minute, powering it back up, giving it time to boot & establish a connection to the Internet, and then powering up your Mint-enabled computer and trying to connect it to your router before powering up the other devices. You might get lucky and discover that it connects.

BtW, I am assuming you are trying to connect via WiFi. Is this the case? If so, have you tried connecting via an Ethernet cable to see if that works?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
lazylazuli

Post by lazylazuli »

Unfortunately, due to my living situation (basically a really strict landlord) I don't have a lot of direct access to the router... I have connected to the wifi successfully using my phone as a tether, though.

Is there any way to confirm that this is because the router is set to allow a certain number of connections, before I go bug my landlord about it? For example, I've run the same netbook using Windows, with no problems, and I've been using probably the same amount of wireless decides at the same time too.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I connect with internet via wi-fi from a Live USB thumb drive all the time, usually while travelling. I'm not clear from your description if you are trying to connect with a home local area network connecting to other computers (complicated), or just trying to access broadcast internet using the SSID / passphrase.

If you have a laptop you might just take it to a coffee shop and see if it connects there. If it does it indicates the problem is with the household modem/router set up. If it doesn't, the problem may be the Live installation or compatibility with your hardware - it's wise to sort this out on a "disposable" Live install and easily install it again (or install something else) on the USB drive if it fails. I've never had the slightest problem connecting Mint to home internet or public wi-fi using a Live USB.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Xfce”