Before you post please read this

Virtual machine

Postby jakke5 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:48 am

Hey
What virtual machine do you advice for
-LMDE
-xfce
-linuxmint 13
in order to run older xp-programs like older versions of f.i. sketch ?
jakke5
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Virtual machine

Postby Oxihjen on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:08 am

Unless you really need the XP program, try the native 'sketch' or an alternative.
If that's not what you want, you could try 'wine' (note: this is not a virtual machine/emulator, but rather a compatability layer to run windows programs in linux and alike)
Lastly you could try 'virtualbox' as virtual machine, but this means you will have to install windows on the vm.

You can find more details for each in the 'Software Manager'
Oxihjen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Virtual machine

Postby jakke5 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes, I really do need the original program. I tried several opensoftware-progs but I stick to autosketch. It is exactly what I need: not too much possibilities, but not too few neither. And further on, I would have to convert all the files I have.
I searched for the compatibilty of (auto-)sketch with wine but didn't find it in the lists. In the past, I used to run autosketch with wine under ubuntu, that went just fine, but since I prefer Mint I wondered if f.i. LMDE is better with virtual machines then f.i. xfce or the "regular" Linuxmint with long-term support.
Another question is: which VM runs best with LMDE, with xfce or with Maya? (I have installed all 3 of them)
jakke5
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications