Modem still flashing when laptop on suspend

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Modem still flashing when laptop on suspend

Postby zippytex on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:10 am

When I put my laptop in suspend, I later notice that the activity light on the modem is blinking. Is someone accessing my computer? My apartment supplies free DSL and everyone is on it. Is it possible that someone could be reading my files. OR, does Linux Mint do housekeeping on its files while the laptop is in suspend mode. I use it off and on all day long and suspend works best for me, rather than shutting it down completely. Of course, if I could remember to unplug the DSL cable, I wouldn't have to worry about it. Thanks in advance for your help. Mary :)
zippytex
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Modem still flashing when laptop on suspend

Postby gtsfer on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Are you referring to the DSL modem Wifi light maybe? If your laptop firewall is turned on you shouldn't have to worry. Some modems do this if anything nearby is even just looking for a wifi connection. You should have your modem (wifi) setup with a passphrase too so it's not an "open network", meaning that anybody can connect off of yours.
There is a time for laughing and a time for not laughing. And this is not one of them! ...Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau
LMDE 64-bit MATE Edition
Please edit your first post Edit and add [SOLVED] to the Subject if you get it resolved.
gtsfer
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Modem still flashing when laptop on suspend

Postby zippytex on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks so much for your help.
zippytex
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Chat about Linux Mint