Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [10-11-14]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GeneC

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [2-04-14]

Post by GeneC »

^^

Yep! Its a know bug in Version: 0.9.4 (0.9.5 is in SID)
https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bug ... 08746.html
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi GeneC,

I started using LMDE and tracking testing when Wheezy was still in testing. Now we have Jessie. I know you have been around awhile as well. I don't remember as many things breaking with Wheezy as now with Jessie. Nothing really big here. Just minor bumps. But there seem to be many more then before. Packages just not working. Packages being pulled from testing, then reappearing latter on.

Is this your impression as well?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

^ Gene
I thought Testing has been pretty calm until this last week or so. SID the same. It seems to me that often we see problems with Gnome transitions. It not all that long ago when Gnome was at 3.0, then 3.2, 3.4, 3.6(wasn't around too long), 3.8, 3.10 now and 3.12 not far off. I am afraid we are just going to have to live with it for the time being. Its just the nature of Debian.. :wink: Clem is very correct when he says
4. How does LMDE compare to the Ubuntu-based editions?
Pros:

You don’t need to ever re-install the system. New versions of software and updates are continuously brought to you.
It’s faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based editions.
Cons:

LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
rcrath

Post by rcrath »

yesterday and today sudo apt-get dist-upgrade yields:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
:
:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  cinnamon cinnamon-screensaver gir1.2-muffin-3.0 libcogl-pango12 libcogl12
  libmuffin0 nemo nemo-compare nemo-dropbox nemo-fileroller nemo-share
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libcogl-pango20 libcogl-path20 libcogl20 liblogging-stdlog0 libplist++2
  libplist2 libruby2.0 libxatracker2 ruby2.0
I tried locking the version of libcogl12 in synaptic, then ran dist-upgrade again, but it still wanted to uninstall cinnamon. How do I lock libcogl12 from apt? And will that allow me to do the rest of the upgrade? Would it be ok to just run upgrade instead of dist-upgrade? Will there be an update to cinnamon this release pack to be compatible with libcogl 2? Or is it broken until the next lmde update pack? Sorry for the string of questions. Just got cinnamon back with up8 and want to nmake sure I don't lose it again.
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

New package libcogl20, which is being installed with the recent upgrade, needs libcogl12 to be removed. On the other hand, libcogl12 is a dependency of Cinnamon. Cinnamon is a dependency of Nemo. So upgrade will automatically remove Cinnamon and Nemo. Apt-get suggest then to autoremove the rest of Cinnamon related packages as they are unused. Dowgrade is problematic cause libcogl12 seems to be no longer available in testing repository. Don't even try to remove libcogl20 - it pulls many packages together. The only way i see is to not updgrade and wait for the new Cinnamon version, hopefully libcogl20 dependent one. I've done the upgrade unconscious of lurking danger and if not a partimage done few days before, I would be stuck on Gnome Classic for some time...
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

rcrath wrote:yesterday and today sudo apt-get dist-upgrade yields:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
:
:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  cinnamon cinnamon-screensaver gir1.2-muffin-3.0 libcogl-pango12 libcogl12
  libmuffin0 nemo nemo-compare nemo-dropbox nemo-fileroller nemo-share
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libcogl-pango20 libcogl-path20 libcogl20 liblogging-stdlog0 libplist++2
  libplist2 libruby2.0 libxatracker2 ruby2.0
I tried locking the version of libcogl12 in synaptic, then ran dist-upgrade again, but it still wanted to uninstall cinnamon. How do I lock libcogl12 from apt? And will that allow me to do the rest of the upgrade? Would it be ok to just run upgrade instead of dist-upgrade? Will there be an update to cinnamon this release pack to be compatible with libcogl 2? Or is it broken until the next lmde update pack? Sorry for the string of questions. Just got cinnamon back with up8 and want to nmake sure I don't lose it again.
Hi rcrath,
To hold libcogl12 at the present version you could try this:
As Root, edit the file: /etc/apt/preferences
Add the lines

Package: libcogl12
Pin: version xxx.xxx.xxx
Pin-Priority: 700
You will need to fill in the correct version, which you can find in Synaptic. I can't test this myself because I'm not running Cinnamon and already have libcogl20. I'm not sure this will for you but it may be worth a try.

Hope this helps. :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

rcrath wrote:I tried locking the version of libcogl12 in synaptic, then ran dist-upgrade again, but it still wanted to uninstall cinnamon.
Synaptic's locking has effect only in Synaptic itself (unless you apply this trick).
rcrath wrote:How do I lock libcogl12 from apt?

sudo apt-mark hold libcogl12
rcrath

Post by rcrath »

sudo apt-mark hold libcogl12
This seems to have worked. dist-upgrade held back ten packages but did not try to uninstall Cinnamon or anything else. Thanks. I hope libcogl12 gets upgraded in cinnamon before up9 though.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

I guess it will be fixed on next UP but it won't get fixed while we're on UP8 :3
I have bigger concern about gnome, grub, and systemd transition. it might be a quite chalenge on next UP.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

network-manager and network-manager-gnome are back in testing. However, network-manager-gnome now has a lot of gnome dependencies added. I don't want/need all that junk so decided not to install. Oh well. :?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

that's weird

Depends: gconf-service, libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4), libc6 (>= 2.14),
         libcairo-gobject2 (>= 1.10.0), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libdbus-1-3 (>=
         1.0.2), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.88), libgconf-2-4 (>= 3.2.5),
         libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.3),
         libgnome-bluetooth11 (>= 2.91.2), libgnome-keyring0 (>= 3.2.2-2~),
         libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.0.0), libmm-glib0 (>= 0.7.991), libnm-glib-vpn1 (>=
         0.7.999), libnm-glib4 (>= 0.9.4.0), libnm-gtk0 (= 0.9.8.8-5),
         libnm-util2 (>= 0.9.7.995), libnotify4 (>= 0.7.0), libpango-1.0-0 (>=
         1.14.0), libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libsecret-1-0 (>= 0.7),
         dconf-gsettings-backend | gsettings-backend, network-manager (>=
         0.9.8), policykit-1-gnome, gnome-icon-theme, dbus-x11

these dependencies seems normal to me. the libgnome-bluetooh was for bluetooth tethering and libgnome-keyring0 seems for creating secure connection. all of them are network related and needed to get a proper connection. as far as I remember I didn't get additional gnome package upon upgrading nm-applet.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi kurotsugi,

Forgot to mention, I'm not running Cinnamon. I'm running Xfce. :(
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

I have xfce too :3
rcrath

Post by rcrath »

kurotsugi wrote:I guess it will be fixed on next UP but it won't get fixed while we're on UP8 :3
I have bigger concern about gnome, grub, and systemd transition. it might be a quite chalenge on next UP.
THe hold worked. FWIW, I've been using systemd on desktop LMDE Cinnamon/testing since up6 with no probs. It caused boot to be really slow when combined with some PAM stuff which it turned out I did not actually need. I forget why I switched from sysviniit, but it solved more problems than it caused B). The less gnome in Cinnamon the better IMHO, so I am happy to see the moves away from dependency there. I had an all Gnome sytem last time testing broke Cinnamon and while GNome is at least usable with some tweaking now, many of the design decisions forced on everyone are just wrong for my workflow, so will live with some old packages until next round.

Here are the packages affected by the hold for anyone who finds this page when their Cinnamon wants to uninstall:

The following packages have been kept back:
  caribou cheese-common gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-cogl-1.0
  gir1.2-coglpango-1.0 gstreamer1.0-clutter libcheese-gtk23 libcheese7
  libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-gst-2.0-0 libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 libtotem0
Thanks for help.
Blank Reg

Post by Blank Reg »

I know LMDE repos are derived from testing, but is it actually safe to track testing directly? I seem to recall apt wanted to upgrade libraries (libgtk? can't remember) resulting in misplaced buttons in dialog boxes (e.g. the shutdown dialog). And I fear Cinnamon might not like the various gir1.2 updates...
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

I know LMDE repos are derived from testing, but is it actually safe to track testing directly? I seem to recall apt wanted to upgrade libraries (libgtk? can't remember) resulting in misplaced buttons in dialog boxes (e.g. the shutdown dialog). And I fear Cinnamon might not like the various gir1.2 updates...
it depends on several things:
1. which DE you use.
cinnamon is bad start. testing will try to remove it. we need to hold several packages to keep cinnamon working.
2. how much did you know about apt and your system.
we need to know how to hold packages and act wisely on upgrades. we must not blindly upgrades everything.
bithir

Post by bithir »

kurotsugi wrote:
1. which DE you use.
cinnamon is bad start. testing will try to remove it. we need to hold several packages to keep cinnamon working.
we need to know how to hold packages and act wisely on upgrades. we must not blindly upgrades everything.
Just to chime in that 1 is probably going to be a sticking point for many. I run XFCE and not really had any issues with it at all - but I think XFCE is not really touched by the Mint team. I think at the moment, that my system is more likely to closer to Debian than it is close to LMDE.

As for 2, I keep a fairly basic understanding of apt, and have rarely (if ever) pinned a package. I do watch carefully on what would be uninstalled during an upgrade and do "upgrade" instead of "dist-upgrade" if I find items I do not think should removed. I've had to do some apt magic at times to ensure I get the correct packages to upgrade without removing or breaking stuff.

I find that it "just works". Testing is not as scary as many thinks, and a lot less scary than I thought when I decided to try it out.
rcrath

Post by rcrath »

Gedit has done a gratuitous removal of the window decorations moving it to the app. this removes window borders making it impossible to distinguish many overlapping windows, removes all the window decoration buttons and replaces them with app-specific buttons, so for example gedit no longer has minimize or maximize, just close, in line with how gnomes think I *should* work. Window borders gone from dialogs. file roller and evince also have moved this way. This is in line with gnmoe's disruption of scrollbar behavior, so that I no longer can tell what a scrollbar will do until I click on it. Will it jump down to the mouse position in the new way gnome thinks I should work? Or will it act as expected and hoped for by moving down the page a screen at a time as it has done for decades. Seriously considering trying to force a downgrade from tracking testing. For now I have installed Kate for text editing (which I am quite liking so far as it has the plugin capabilities I use in gedit installed) and just deal with the ugliness elsewhere. When up9 comes out I will lower the priority of testing so that it only installs a package if forced. Is it time for Cinnamon to fork evince, gedit (or borrow pluma), and file-roller (or borrow engrampa)?
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Just an FYI. conky-all has been removed from testing and replaced by conky-std, which now contains everything that conky-all had. If you manually install conky-std then it will uninstall conky-all. :wink:
dumas777

Post by dumas777 »

bithir wrote:
kurotsugi wrote:
1. which DE you use.
Just to chime in that 1 is probably going to be a sticking point for many. I run XFCE and not really had any issues with it at all - but I think XFCE is not really touched by the Mint team. I think at the moment, that my system is more likely to closer to Debian than it is close to LMDE.

As for 2, I keep a fairly basic understanding of apt, and have rarely (if ever) pinned a package. I do watch carefully on what would be uninstalled during an upgrade and do "upgrade" instead of "dist-upgrade" if I find items I do not think should removed. I've had to do some apt magic at times to ensure I get the correct packages to upgrade without removing or breaking stuff.

I find that it "just works". Testing is not as scary as many thinks, and a lot less scary than I thought when I decided to try it out.
Testing is not scary but as implied above I also would not recommend testing if you are using cinnamon almost exclusively for your desktop unless you are comfortable building cinnamon and all its dependant debs yourself. Waiting around for update packs to upgrade cinnamon is asking for trouble IMHO.

Return to “LMDE Archive”