Why Did Linux Mint Ax mintConstructor?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

http://fossforce.com/2014/01/linux-mint ... nstructor/

“mintConstructor has been pulled from the repos.”

“Surely not”, I thought to myself. That didn’t sound right and I mentioned so in my G+ stream. It wasn’t long before someone in my circles came up with the answer. Homer Slated posted the following to my inquiry:
“The reason we no longer distribute it is because it’s hurting our project much more than it’s helping a few people in our community remaster Mint for their personal needs. The reason it happened overnight was because, apparently, we released two editions we never worked on (Studio Edition and Dewdrop). Some people used our name, logos and identity to promote their own products” ~ Clement Lefebvre, Mint founder.
As it often happens, a few ruined it for many. We have used Linux Mint for a number of years at Reglue. Hundreds of kids have been introduced to computing via Linux Mint. Trying to install the additional packages on each computer was killing us time-wise. We place anywhere from 100 – 300 computers a year. When we can automate or cut down the time a machine is on the bench, the better off everyone is. That’s why mintConstructor is so important. At least to us.

So what's your take on it? As personally wasn't aware it was an issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Why Did Linux Mint Ax mintConstructor?

Post by skywolfblue »

The reason we no longer distribute it is because it’s hurting our project much more than it’s helping a few people in our community remaster Mint for their personal needs. The reason it happened overnight was because, apparently, we released two editions we never worked on (Studio Edition and Dewdrop). Some people used our name, logos and identity to promote their own products” ~ Clement Lefebvre, Mint founder.
I'm a little confused as to how they are related.

MintConstructor is a tool. Which seems very separate from any licensing issues that stem from offshoots using the mint brand name.

How is the app/script responsible for the naming problem?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

I'm a little confused as to how they are related. MintConstructor is a tool. Which seems very separate from any licensing issues that stem from offshoots using the mint brand name. How is the app/script responsible for the naming problem?
mintconstructor is part of mint tools, thus, it carry 'mint' brand and should not used on other distro. anyway, it's not the major concern in our case. the problem is that someone using mintconstructor to modify linuxmint installation iso and publish it with all 'mint' brands without clem's concern.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

That's very bad!! :D :D :D
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

Other Linux distros do often have a remastering tool for creating customized live CD's which have the most recent updates incorporated. Very pity that Linux Mint abandoned it. Is there any other remastering tool for creating customized live CD's?
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

DrM wrote:Other Linux distros do often have a remastering tool for creating customized live CD's which have the most recent updates incorporated. Very pity that Linux Mint abandoned it. Is there any other remastering tool for creating customized live CD's?
SUSE Studio: https://susestudio.com/
But it only lets you customize SUSE and OpenSUSE.
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

You can also use Ubuntu Builder, see topic "Any alternative to Mintconstructor?" at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=160717 Ubuntu Builder is very useful for building your Linux Mint LiveDVD with the most recent patches and updates slipstreamed into the Live-medium.
DeVIL-I386
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DeVIL-I386 »

»"Linux Mint" Studio Edition« was created with remastersys (Size: 3,5 GB).

»"Linux Mint" Dewdrop« was created with ... (Size: 3,96 GB).

The people of the two projects have mintconstructor most likely never used ...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”