LMDE on Mint Box ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
PatrickLatour

LMDE on Mint Box ?

Post by PatrickLatour »

Hello all, first soory if this post is not in the right section, was not sure where to post it. Second, sorry if this is a stupid question.
I am using LMDE since a long time now and love it. Since a couple of months, I am thinking about adding a Mint Box to my toy box (my wife will be so happy to see my new investment :twisted: ).
So my question is anybody already experienced LMDE installed on a mint box ? Any problem with the hardware ? Any thing I should know before moving on ?

Thanks for your help !!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
N3MKH
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Re: LMDE on Mint Box ?

Post by N3MKH »

I have a MintBox 2 with no issues with Mint 15 or Mint 16. The 201403 LMDE operates without issues in live mode. I have not been able to sort out the procedure for the placement of GRUB. The default BIOS has UEFI disabled and Legacy enabled. With this BIOS setting, upon booting following an install, I receive a message indicating the the HD can not be read (check the cables type message). I have tried writing GRUB to /dev/sda and then /dev/sda1 (root) in a different fresh install. I also tried UEFI enabled with a fresh install with GRUB placed on sda or sda1, but only obtained a boot menu asking what device to use for the boot loader, and when told, simply returning to the boot menu. So, until I sort out the GRUB issue with LMDE on a MintBox 2, I am using Mint 16. I also have used LMDE with great success on other boxes, and wish to get it up and running on the MintBox 2. So, you may run into GRUB placement issues, or someone with the solution may appear and tell us the way to sort this out. I am happily Mintizing XP machines of friends who are moving away from XP and do not wish to purchase new machines. Kudos to Clem and crew for providing alternatives at this time.
Last edited by N3MKH on Wed May 07, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lgt791

Re: LMDE on Mint Box ?

Post by lgt791 »

I am currently using linux mint 201403 LMDE 64bit with no problems at all. It installed fine and updated ok. There is only one problem and that is firefox locks up from time to time. Other than that everything works , it boots ok , it installs software the way it is supposed to.

Very Happy at the moment
N3MKH
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE on Mint Box ?

Post by N3MKH »

I found that the Mintbox 2 worked with LMDE when Grub was placed in / on the first partition (sda1 in my case). When Grub was just placed on sda, the system would not boot from the HDD. I had tried another install placing Grub on sda1, but I had not yet figured out that the boot flag needed to be set on sda1, and of course that install failed. An examination of the partition table of a successful MInt 16 install revealed a boot flag set on sda1. That was my missing piece to the puzzle (been installing Linux since 1994 and always put Grub or Lilo on the MBR). I discovered how to set the boot flag on a partition, and the rest of the install proceeded as expected. The funny part is that my notes from early April showed sda1 as boot for Mint 16, but it took until yesterday to figure out the boot flag by examining every possible thing gparted could do. This is better than any of the old Infocom text based games, though I felt at times I was in a maze of twisty tunnels. Mark my issue solved!

Return to “LMDE Archive”