OpenSSL patch for heartbleed

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
SliperySam

OpenSSL patch for heartbleed

Post by SliperySam »

Hello,
I searched the forums for any mention for open SSl patch for heartbleed. However i only came across the info for LM main. I was wondering what the situation for LMDE is. I ran a check for the version number and it is old one built on nov 2013. I also checked updates and there was nothing there too. When can LMDE users expect the patched version? I hope this wont remain unpatched till the next UP :(. IM currently on UP8
Thanks in advance
SliperySam
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: OpenSSL patch for heartbleed

Post by killer de bug »

The patch is in Romeo and will be in available for all today. :wink:
fu-sen

Post by fu-sen »

I confirmed that an update package of OpenSSL was reflected by debian.linuxmint.com.
The mirror site may be delayed a little more.

In LMDE, OpenSSL is updated in the most recent version (1.0.1g):

Code: Select all

$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
$ openssl version -b
built on: Mon Apr  7 21:30:49 UTC 2014
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

fu-sen wrote:In LMDE, OpenSSL is updated in the most recent version (1.0.1g):
Wrong. Most recent version in Debian Testing is 1.0.1-g2, an update considered "urgency=emergency" by http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/c ... _changelog .
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Only difference is that g-2 save a reboot :lol:
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Hiya. I'm using Mint 14 Mate and I've tried:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get upgrade openssl

but I'm still showing a 2012 openssl version.

There's a walkthrough on youtube but I have no "official package repositories list" in the sources.list.d folder. There's a few files for a Libreoffice test, two called local-repositary, a couple from Firefox nightly, and another 6 with Quantal in the title.

Thanks for any help.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

Don't know whether it helps in this case but in general you should update with

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
or use mintupdate.
What version of openssl is installed? 0.9.8 is not affected by heartbleed. 1.x should be updated.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

py-thon wrote:Don't know whether it helps in this case but in general you should update with

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
No! He uses Linux Mint 14 based on Ubuntu. Frozen Snapshot. So no dist-upgrade for him, upgrade should be fine and safer. :)
Last edited by killer de bug on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

This has nothing to do with being based on Ubuntu or Debian directly.
Upgrade does not install necessary dependencies, dist-upgrade does. Therefore using upgrade can mean that packages are not upgraded because of conflicts arising from dependencies (of the package you are trying to upgrade or other installed packages). dist-upgrade tries to solve the dependencies. dist-upgrade does not mean distribution upgrade.
See for example http://askubuntu.com/questions/215267/w ... er-version or the correspondent manpages.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

py-thon wrote:This has nothing to do with being based on Ubuntu or Debian directly.
I know exactly how dist-upgrade and upgrade work, thank you.

I repeat :
- Rolling distro : dist-upgrade or you will break everything sooner or later (LMDE case)
- Frozen snapshot, no big upgrade in soft, only security fix and minor revision, so upgrade.
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Thanks, it's version

OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012

MintUpdate insists I'm up to date.

I enabled the unstable (Romeo) packages too and did an update (ignoring level 3 and level 4) and I also ran

sudo apt-get upgrade

anyway, but it's still the same version :?

Thanks again for any help.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

The fix was marked level 3 I think. So if you ignore it you can't have it...
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Thanks, I tried it with all levels enabled but no luck at all. It must be in a repo that I don't have enabled.

I'm planning on updating to Mint 17 end of May anyway.

I tried most of the url's I was worried about in here and I got lucky at least with that it seems.

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

Level 3 seems rather lowly for something attracting so much heat?

No to worry, thanks again.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

nathanjh13 wrote: Level 3 seems rather lowly for something attracting so much heat?
:shock: Levels in update manager are not related to the importance or to the criticality of the bug... It's only related to the probability that applying this upgrade will break your system or not...
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

It's a relatively low risk security hole for the average user a desktop-oriented OS.
Hackers are unlikely to take the time to retrieve tiny chunks of data repeatedly from a boring target with no potential for financial gain.

It's a bigger concern for people hosting web servers and VPNs with saleable content, like Canada Revenue Agency during tax time!
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myrkat »

nathanjh13 wrote:Thanks, it's version

OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012

MintUpdate insists I'm up to date.

I enabled the unstable (Romeo) packages too and did an update (ignoring level 3 and level 4) and I also ran

sudo apt-get upgrade

anyway, but it's still the same version :?

Thanks again for any help.
I have a similar problem with my Mint 16, I have OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013 and selected to display all 5 levels in MintUpdate (checked that all were visible); I even checked the "Unstable packages (romeo)" under the Software Sources / Official repositories. Updated/refreshed, and I do not see any update for OpenSSL.

I manually did a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade as well as a sudo apt-get upgrade and I'm still seeing OpenSSL 1.0.1e :(

Hell, I did sudo apt-get upgrade openssl and got

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 gjs gnome-font-viewer gnome-settings-daemon libgtkmm-3.0-1 libgtksourceview-3.0-1
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Any suggestions?
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Please use the search engine before asking a question which has already been answered many times:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 57#p846368
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p845069
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myrkat »

eanfrid wrote:Please use the search engine before asking a question which has already been answered many times:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 57#p846368
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 69#p845069
I did use a search engine - that is what brought me to this ALREADY ESTABLISHED thread. Maybe you missed it, but I did not start a new thread on the topic.

Also, just because information and announcements are next to nothing for Linux Mint users, do not be upset with me because I did not find your replies. That seems a bit arrogant or snobby. That said, thank you for pointing me to your information. Backporting is what I suspected with the April 7 build date, but was not sure.
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

@myrkat: I am neither upset nor arrogant :) But did you notice that this topic is about LMDE, which works differently than the Ubuntu-based main edition ? :wink:
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

@myrkat
So you should check in synaptic to get the exact version which openssl version -a obviously doesn't (it shows the build date but not the complete version name).
Depending on the Mint version it should show
1.0.1e-3ubuntu1.2 (on Mint 16, which you are talking about)
1.0.1-4ubuntu5.12 (on Mint 13)
1.0.1g-2 (on LMDE, which this thread is about)

Return to “LMDE Archive”