MintUpdate behavior (security updates)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mark1mint

MintUpdate behavior (security updates)

Post by mark1mint »

I'd like to understand something more about the inner logic of mintUpdate:how does it mark the available updates as safe/unsafe/dangerous?

In other words,which are the criteria according to which a package is believed to be safe,or unsafe,or downright dangerous for system stability?

Assuming I'd like to install just security updates and nothing else,how should I proceed?

In Ubuntu you can check/uncheck boxes in software sources to apply only security updates,can I do this in Mint too?

If I manually edit sources.list and temporarily comment out all lines except

Code: Select all

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security main restricted universe multiverse
then run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade,will this do the trick?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: MintUpdate behavior (security updates)

Post by Kalyk »

In the documentation on the site Clem says something about why a patch is ranks as safe or unsafe, so you might want to read that part.
And the change you suggest will probably work, although you might miss important stability patches.
And I suppose a new firefox-version, which usually has a security component in it, might not be in the security channel.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Can you post a link to the documentation you are talking about?
Good point about Firefox updates and stability patches-although in the latter case,I've found that if you have an ATI video card and proprietary driver already installed,some of them may break things rather than improve.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

I've had a look at the pdf manual,it explains how the update manager works from a user's point of view,but obviously doesn't say anything about what's "under the hood",so to speak:I was trying to understand what is the logic according to which packages are tagged and where are the configuration files for this.
Frankly,the concept is interesting but I still think that the Ubuntu update manager,which lets you choose only security updates if you wish so,is better:I've observed that mintupdate tags as safe also some packages with priority "optional" ,which in other words are not essential security updates.
BTW,I've tried to comment out all lines in sources.list except deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security main restricted universe multiverse and Firefox gets updated as well.

Return to “Software & Applications”