What is VMware?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
big_dog1968

What is VMware?

Post by big_dog1968 »

AK Dave wrote: I'll then need to download, compile, and install vmware so that I can virtualize their XP desktop and run it under Mint.
This is from a post here: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 471#p84585

What does VMware do? I need Internet explorer to properly display my work email at home and to run Sieble CRP. Sieble absolutely will not run on Firefox. I have been doing IE's4Linux, but haven't been thrilled with the result. Would VMware do better? Is there another (easy) way to install IE in Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: What is VMware?

Post by AK Dave »

There was an excellent tutorial not long ago on http://www.ubuntu-tutorials.com on the install of vmware.

vmware is a virtual PC manager from Sun for a variety of platforms, including Linux, that allows virtual PCs to be created and operated. Each virtual PC is like having a computer within your computer, with its own OS. You can run a full version of XP on top of Linux. And from XP, any app that runs on XP provided it is happy with the resources you allocate to your virtual session.

vmware is likely overkill if the only problem is you absolutely have to have real IE running. Surely it will run under wine.
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

As suggested by Dave, running IE with wine would be a better option, if you are only interested in running your applications that only run on IE. You may have to install wine for this. Also "wine door" installation helps in installing applications on wine.

(BTW, VMware is not from sun, VirtualBox is now owned by Sun!)
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

rbanavara wrote:As suggested by Dave, running IE with wine would be a better option, if you are only interested in running your applications that only run on IE. You may have to install wine for this. Also "wine door" installation helps in installing applications on wine.

(BTW, VMware is not from sun, VirtualBox is now owned by Sun!)
I tried WineDoor and it did not work. It goes through all the steps and when it is done, it fails to put icons on the desktop or menus and when I go to the wine partition, it fail to launch from there either. Is there a trick to getting wine/winedoors to work. Is wine doors different than IE's4Linux?
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

I would stay away from VMware. I've used it in Windows XP. It works good there. But, I've tried it in Mint. I never could get it to work. The people who supports it. Want help you unless you pay for it. VirtualBox is a great program. They have a great support forum.
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

I agree..., virtualBox is a great tool. I did try that on Daryna and it was up in minutes. linux mint live cd, no brainer! I did try a hdd install with virtual disk, but the size was too small and I left it (since I was sure it will work). Next I tried booting the raw partitions. Bingo..., I could get my old feisty up & running though it had issues with GUI... This is impressive...! this involves running just one command & you r machine is setup to boot a pertition. The beauty is you can restrict it to a partition and boot from an image of the boot partition!

This I had tried earlier and it seemed so complicated and also it was looking for whole disk... (not sure if it has changed in recent past).

For rawdisk, you need the proprietary version though (non OSE)

(BTW I have noticed some change in this phpBB, now the typos are highlighted in red instad of underline)
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

FredJones wrote:Are you following the ies4linux instructions for installing? Because AFAIK they are outdated. Is your Wine installed correctly and working? Can you open Notepad and it runs correctly? If so, then Wine would appear to be working. If not, then you need to get that done first.

Next step is ies4linux. If the installer fails, then try the --no-gui option as that can sometimes fix install issues. If not, then let us know if there are any error messages in the ies4linux installer.
I tried Ies4Linux, and it works, but it often begins to flicker occationally while I am using it - I was hoping installing it through Wine Doors would make a difference. I tried installing it using Wine Doors, but that absolutely does not work. I did the install, and while everything is where it is supposed to be the program will not launch. It is configured to launch with Wine.
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

wine doors may need the executable for IE6 (higher versions wont work). I tried installing IE with wine door, but the exe size was around 2.5 kb or such... so clearly this means the IE 6 was not downloaded from net as does other apps in linux. Not sure how do you do this. I could install Safari for windows though wine doors and it works just right. so I beleive IE should also be possible.

Return to “Beginner Questions”