Fujitsu Siemens D1840W multiple (USB-related?) problems

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tojelora

Fujitsu Siemens D1840W multiple (USB-related?) problems

Post by tojelora »

Hello world,

I recently installed Linux Mint 13 MATE on my old Windows XP laptop (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D1840W). Since then multiple problems has arisen. Under XP the laptop ran just fine. The only problem mutual to both platforms is #3.

1. Laptop keyboard and touchpad malfunction at bootup or shortly after bootup. Simply restarting the machine doesn't resolve the problem, only a hard boot will. Keyboard tends to freeze after I press a random key. As it freezes the system keeps hitting that one key over and over again (for example if I had a text editor open and the keyboard froze as I was pressing 'd', the document would fill up with this letter 'ddddddddd...'). After this happens, the keyboard doesn't respond to anything. I googled Magic SysRq keys and even it doesn't seem to work.

To solve problem #1 I decided to purchase an external keyboard. However, I noticed that the external keyboard sometimes freezes as well. This happens if I plug the keyboard into the two USB slots on the left of the laptop. The third one in the back is totally fine and works perfectly.

What I find strange is that it appears only the external OR internal laptop will freeze. It never affects both of them. Therefore I always have an external keybaord plugged in and use that whichever doesn't freeze.

2. No sound at bootup. It has worked very rarely but it indeed has worked before. To be able to have sound I have to plug in my USB headphones.

3. System doesn't recognise SD cards.

I would really appreciate if someone helped me. I am happy to deliver additional information. Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tojelora

Re: Fujitsu Siemens D1840W multiple (USB-related?) problems

Post by tojelora »

I tried Lubuntu 14.04 LTS on a live-CD and it had the same kind of problem.
tojelora

Post by tojelora »

Ok, so someone tipped me to use acpi=off kernel parameter. And I have to say, it solved one problem (the major one): they keyboard does no longer freeze. Hooray!

I would still appreciate help in getting the sound and sd cards to work.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

As a cheap experiment, try running from the Live-CD in compatibility mode. It applies a long list of dont-get-smart instructions to the kernel.

The Puppy Linux Wary distribution actually fits on a CD :shock: runs in RAM :shock: :shock: and was designed for 'older hardware'. It isn't Mint or GNU but still very useful as a runs-on-anything-worth-mending boot disk for early fault diagnosis.

Return to “Hardware Support”