Bianca first impressions

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Yeah, when right clikcing on anything i can't edit the menu. What a pitty. Since its so hard to click on the whitespace, "Add to pannel", "Mint Menu" to get your old gnomish functionality.

I do agree with the dominate Bianca Logo though, I like mint better. And Linux Mint 2.2 sounds so much better.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The Bea artwork is still present in Bianca so you can revert to it. And, you can also run Bea and upgrade to Bianca "without" upgrading the artwork.

Clem
glas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glas »

I have 'upgraded' Bea to Bianca (following the wiki instruction details provided) on my box at home; downloaded and installed Bianca on my box at work (I run a computer repair shop that promotes and sells refurbished computers usually with both Windows and Linux installed).

My 'upgraded' Bea to Bianca box has, for whatever reason, retained the same (traditional?) Gnome desktop with the drop down menus. And now I'm glad it has because its easier to navigate and operate than the new Bianca pop-up menu configuration.

Of course this is just my personal opinion probably based largely on what I've become used to. It is not meant knock the hard and great work put into the Mint distro from Barbara to Bianca.

As for placing application icons on the Bianca panel - just right click on the panel and choose 'add icon' (or something like that). Like most things computer related, easy if you know how, virtually impossible and frustrating if you don't.

I was very impressed by the fact that Bianca recognised and configured my wireless card with out any fuss just by running it 'live'. I don't think even Knoppix, the auto-configuration king, can manage that.

So my work box Bianca is a 9 out of 10 for me, and my home box Bianca with a Bea desktop scores 10 out of 10.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi glas,

Bea's artwork in included in Bianca so you can revert to it, just select the Bea theme, click apply for the wallpaper, change the login window preferences, and for the panel:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel

that should do the trick :)

Clem,
PS: Good luck for the match tonight ;)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Don't panic :)

Some people are running Edgy and they don't feel outdated. If you like Bea stick to it and skip Bianca.

We released Bianca because we felt we made good improvements and a better desktop than in Bea. You can't be vexed because you just got more choice. Our release cycle is not fixed and we release when we achieve our goals, not when the calendar says it's been x days since our last release.

Clem
mcrofutt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mcrofutt »

Well, I've got to give it a thumbs up! For my tastes it beats the Ubuntu flavor of gnome hands-down. Ya'll keep up the good work!
Mark

Return to “Non-technical Questions”