having trouble watching yahoo videos with firefox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

having trouble watching yahoo videos with firefox

Post by gatorade »

recently I've been having trouble watching yahoo videos using firefox.

is anyone else experiencing this?
I only have this problem with linux Mint. When I boot windows from my dual boot and use firefox i can view them without a problem.

every time I click on a yahoo story with a video I get an error msg

"Oops! Something went wrong.
Please check your internet connection or try reloading the video. Otherwise, check out one of these related videos:"

I'm using the latest firefox , firefox 28.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: having trouble watching yahoo videos with firefox

Post by Flemur »

I just get a blank, black box with no controls and no picture...
https://screen.yahoo.com/comedy/adorabl ... 13758.html
...probably because my 'hosts' file blocks their advertising, as happens with most "news" videos (take their title and search in youtube and its usually watchable there, without ads).

So, are you doing any ad-blocking?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Try changing your web player in Amazon Settings. You probably have it set for Adobe Flash; try changing it to Silverlight. The recent problems cleared up for me with that simple thing. It can't hurt and you can easily change it back.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Adelante wrote:Try changing your web player in Amazon Settings. You probably have it set for Adobe Flash; try changing it to Silverlight. The recent problems cleared up for me with that simple thing. It can't hurt and you can easily change it back.
It appears I have the same problem, never noticed it before. I have the Adblock plugin installed as well. It was the first thing I shut down. Restarted FF and no results.

It's only on Yahoo videos and I tried the above to no avail. Default on Amazon settings was already Silverlight but I toggled it back and forth, still no joy. I apparently have Shockwave Flash version 11,2,202,341 installed. The latest version is 11.2.202.346 so I downloaded and extracted the files (tar.gz) and it and it looks like it requires a manual install from the readme.txt file. I'm not sure I'm going to bother as Flemur's suggestion to find another source for the video works just fine for me. :)
Last edited by gtsfer on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I haven't seen the issue with Yahoo videos, so I don't know. Your plug-ins look fine. I use Adblock and Noscript with no interference.

For Amazon video, aside from the switch in web player, I had used two methods previously:

In Terminal: Zombie HAL

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal

2. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install hal

3. sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/preprobe

4. sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/information

5. /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes --verbose=yes

6. rm -rf ~/.adobe

Note: If it says you already have something, just move on to the next step.

Restart

-------------------------------

II. In Terminal: Alternative

1. (Skip this step if you've already done the above method.)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install hal

2. cd ~/.adobe/Flash_Player

rm -rf NativeCache AssetCache APSPrivateData2

Restart

That's about all I know about it. Good luck.

Adding: Amazon Instant Video Forum

http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20vi ... AX98ED5WQ3
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Thanks Adelante, I think I'll try this. Your suggestion looks easy. The method to update proposed by Adobe's download is pretty messy actually, that's why I nixed it. :)
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

Adelante wrote:Try changing your web player in Amazon Settings. You probably have it set for Adobe Flash; try changing it to Silverlight. The recent problems cleared up for me with that simple thing. It can't hurt and you can easily change it back.
where do I find Amazon Settings?
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Go to your video library and look up top.
gatorade wrote:where do I find Amazon Settings?
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

still don't see it. I'm supposed to see something that says "AmazonSettings" ?
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

On the video library page, (Amazon Instant Video > Your Video Library ), above where the icons are collected, going across from left to right margin:
Your Instant Video
Prime Instant Video
Shop Instant Video

Getting Started
Your Video Library
Settings
Help
gatorade wrote:still don't see it. I'm supposed to see something that says "AmazonSettings" ?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Your Account -> Digital Content -> Amazon Instant Video Settings -> Web Player Preferences.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

well, I just realized after reading your latest posts , just what you guys are talking about. This is the first time I've heard of Amazon instant video, I've been looking for some setting in firefox that says amazon settings. :oops:

But the whole point I started this thread was about viewing Yahoo videos , with firefox. So you kind of got me lost talking about amazon videos.
I guess the above suggestions aren't really relevant to me, lol.

Can we try to gt back to the original topic now, please, :lol:
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Update: The only place I have trouble with Yahoo videos is here... https://screen.yahoo.com/snl/fox-friends-063857099.html
All other Yahoo videos seem to play just fine, such as here... http://news.yahoo.com/video/president-s ... 6-cbs.html

Anything on the second link above plays just fine. Anything on the first link (screen.yahoo.com/....) does NOT and produces the error message "Oops! Something went wrong. Please check your internet connection or try reloading the video. Otherwise, check out one of these related videos:"

Playing with my Flash settings seems to have no effect.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

You're right. I'm sorry. I probably got things confused. Not the first time :oops:
gatorade wrote:Can we try to gt back to the original topic now, please, :lol:
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

Adelante wrote:You're right. I'm sorry. I probably got things confused. Not the first time :oops:
gatorade wrote:Can we try to gt back to the original topic now, please, :lol:

yeah, no worries, bud. :)

so, anyone got any other suggestions?
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

gatorade wrote:so, anyone got any other suggestions?
No, except an update. NEITHER of these works in Chromium, I just installed it. Everything else I tried does in Chromium including videos on CBSNEWS, Youtube, Fox, etc. Just Yahoo is a problem. Completely black video panel, nothing loads. It's worse than FF (in that only https://screen.yahoo.com/...) doesn't work with FF.
gtsfer wrote:Update: The only place I have trouble with Yahoo videos is here... https://screen.yahoo.com/snl/fox-friends-063857099.html
All other Yahoo videos seem to play just fine, such as here... http://news.yahoo.com/video/president-s ... 6-cbs.html
Maybe I'm missing a plugin in Chromium, never used it before, just testing with it now.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

I also tried Opera and the videos won't play while using that either.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Yahoo must have changed something, I just updated my flash plugin and still no joy. It's one of those dreaded things that probably only works on Internet Exploder. I can do without Yahoo myself. (graphic courtesy of Monsta)
Internet Exploder.jpg
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

yeah, I think I can live without yahoo as well. I find most of those news videos crap anyways. I am usually sorry I wasted my time watching them after. :lol:
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
kromaz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kromaz »

Same issue can't view yahoo videos in Firefox 28. I enjoyed watching yahoo videos. Can watch flash videos just fine on other websites. Has anyone found a fix or workaround?
Linux Mint 21.1 Vera Xfce
Debian 11.6 Bullseye Xfce

Return to “Software & Applications”