VMware Workstation 9.0.3 Fails to Install Completely

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
geofurtado

VMware Workstation 9.0.3 Fails to Install Completely

Post by geofurtado »

After the LMDE upgrade, I was having a problem with VMware Workstation 9.0.3. The following service failed to startup even after an uninstall and reinstall of VMware:

Virtual Machine Communications Interface *vcmi"
VM Communication Interface

The problem seems to be with VMware in the new kernel after LMDE upgrade, "3.11.8-1-amd64"

When I revert back to the old kernel "3.10-2-amd64" *by selecting it in grub(, VMware is working properly.

I would like to continue to use LMDE, but also need to have a reliable platform for VMware Workstation. If I reinstall LMDE from scratch, will I get a different kernel (later kernels seem work fine)?

I know there is a patch for VMware to try to get it working, but it looks like the patch is a messy process.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: VMware Workstation 9.0.3 Fails to Install Completely

Post by Kalyk »

You probably need to reinstall VMWare-tools under the newer kernel, because it does something with integration into the kernel and the new kernel needs to get this also.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
geofurtado

Post by geofurtado »

I had already tried that one, but did not make a difference.

Thanks
geofurtado

Post by geofurtado »

Normally, I would just patch Vmware, but after looking at the patches available, it was just cleaner and easier to buy the upgrade to version 10. It works with the new version.

Return to “LMDE Archive”