Issues Running LMDE Cinnamon from bootable USB Drive

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
CuXe
Level 1
Level 1

Issues Running LMDE Cinnamon from bootable USB Drive

Post by CuXe »

Hello!

Total noob here :) - Last night I tried to get LMDE Cinnamon 32bit running via bootable USB Drive. I am testing it in an older desktop which I built about 5 years ago (QuadCore AMD, enough disk space, 4GB of ram) - By running I mean "Live Mode."

Anyhow, the bootable drive seems to work fine as I get to a screen that says:

Live Mode
Install
Check Integrity of File (If I recall correctly)
Memory test

The first problem I faced is that when I select "live mode" all I see is a countdown (10 to 0) which is stuck in an infinite loop.

I did some research in the forum and found that Nvidia/Radeon video cards might be the culprits when this happens; so the post suggested that I select "compatibility mode" in the screen above. The second problem is that the screen I saw did not show the "compatibility mode" option, so I think I am stuck in a catch22 situation.

I verified the MD5 of the iso file I downloaded and it matched. I created the bootable with LinuxLiveUSB.

Would I see anything different if I try the Ubuntu Based Version of Mint Cinnamon?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Issues Running LMDE Cinnamon from bootable USB Drive

Post by gtsfer »

Cinnamon is actually a slightly "heavier" version of LM or LMDE. It requires more graphics resources from my understanding. You might try this to see if it gets you past that point. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

If that doesn't work, Mate is less graphics intensive and Xfce is an even lighter version (requires less HW). Or there may be other ways to resolve it if it's a graphics card / driver problem even booting up in live mode. Of course with LMDE you're limited to Mate or Cinnamon.

LMDE is my favorite but maybe not the best for your first crack at Linux, or at least so "they" say. It's supposed to be more command line intensive, but I'm not so sure that is still the case.
CuXe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CuXe »

gtsfer wrote:Cinnamon is actually a slightly "heavier" version of LM or LMDE. It requires more graphics resources from my understanding. You might try this to see if it gets you past that point. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
Ah yes, that was the thread I was referring to. The main post suggests starting out in compatibility mode but that mode doesn't seem to be available in the bootable LMDE image. Will I see that option if I go with the Ubuntu-based MINT?
If that doesn't work, Mate is less graphics intensive and Xfce is an even lighter version (requires less HW). Or there may be other ways to resolve it if it's a graphics card / driver problem even booting up in live mode. Of course with LMDE you're limited to Mate or Cinnamon.
That is definitively an option but i am such a sucker for good looking graphics and stuffs :( .. but if this doesn't work out I'll definitively go that route. I read I could also remove the graphics card, re-enable the motherboard-graphics, install LMDE and then download the video card driver. Once thats done I'd reinstall the card to the mobo and see if it runs.. I'll try this tonight.
LMDE is my favorite but maybe not the best for your first crack at Linux, or at least so "they" say. It's supposed to be more command line intensive, but I'm not so sure that is still the case.
I've been reading a lot about LMDE vs Ubuntu Based MInt; it seems people prefer LMDE but just how much do you currently use the terminal? I know there are certain functions that can only be accomplished via the terminal so I am not affraid of researching and playing around with all that code, but if most "app installations" have to go through a terminal instead of an app manager then I might have to look into other options indeed.

I will be using this comp as a media server, I'll have plex running and streaming videos to my roku in the livingroom..I'll connect to it via teamviewer or vnc. Hopefully I can get this box to work without a mouse, keyboard and just a vga cable hookedup to the video card.

I read somewhere that having a VGA cable hooked up tot he motherboard is the easiest way to get a desktop to run without having a physical monitor hookedup to it.. .

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't even need a video card attached to this system since I won't be using a monitor :( .. All I need is the default motherboard video.... agrr.. now I feel dumb lol.. :oops:

I will try removing the video card and I'll use the mobo graphics instead. I will give this another shot tonight and I'll report back.

Thanks for the great input GTSFER! :mrgreen:
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

CuXe wrote:Ah yes, that was the thread I was referring to. The main post suggests starting out in compatibility mode but that mode doesn't seem to be available in the bootable LMDE image. Will I see that option if I go with the Ubuntu-based MINT?
I'm pretty sure you would, never thought about it much but maybe this option is not part of the LMDE install.
CuXe wrote:That is definitively an option but i am such a sucker for good looking graphics and stuffs :( .. but if this doesn't work out I'll definitively go that route. I read I could also remove the graphics card, re-enable the motherboard-graphics, install LMDE and then download the video card driver. Once thats done I'd reinstall the card to the mobo and see if it runs.. I'll try this tonight.
That might get you installed. Or you could (maybe) just disable the graphics card if that's an option in BIOS. Easier than taking the card out.
CuXe wrote:I've been reading a lot about LMDE vs Ubuntu Based MInt; it seems people prefer LMDE but just how much do you currently use the terminal? I know there are certain functions that can only be accomplished via the terminal so I am not affraid of researching and playing around with all that code, but if most "app installations" have to go through a terminal instead of an app manager then I might have to look into other options indeed.
Honestly, very little my first few months. I avoided it like the plague simply because I didn't know enough and wasn't comfortable with it. I did everything I could from the GUI and that worked for me. Lately I'm more comfortable doing installs (apt-get) and a lot more from the terminal just because of having more control. I don't necessarily agree with the blurb on the LMDE download site that says it "requires a deeper understanding of apt-get..." etc. I don't see where there's much difference if any between LMDE and LM 16 Mate for instance. Someone is going to jump all over me for this I bet. :lol:
CuXe wrote:I will be using this comp as a media server, I'll have plex running and streaming videos to my roku in the livingroom..I'll connect to it via teamviewer or vnc. Hopefully I can get this box to work without a mouse, keyboard and just a vga cable hookedup to the video card.

I read somewhere that having a VGA cable hooked up tot he motherboard is the easiest way to get a desktop to run without having a physical monitor hookedup to it.. .
I honestly dunno about the "how to" for this part. But I believe you could set up the system and eventually run it headless like any other OS.
CuXe wrote:Actually, now that I think about it, I don't even need a video card attached to this system since I won't be using a monitor :( .. All I need is the default motherboard video.... agrr.. now I feel dumb lol.. :oops:
I will try removing the video card and I'll use the mobo graphics instead. I will give this another shot tonight and I'll report back.
Thanks for the great input GTSFER! :mrgreen:
One step at a time, you'll get there! :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”