OzOs

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eeezzzeee

OzOs

Post by eeezzzeee »

I read a couple of posts that had mentioned a distro called ozos, but couldn't find much info in here about it. I went to their webpage and downloaded it. It is a pretty cool e17 based distro. Haven't run into any major errors yet like i have with some other e17's I've tried. I aslo read about peoples experiences with elive, and the negative reviews that spawned. So I just though I would mention it for the distro hoppers/testers as something to take a look at if they are interested in a unbuntu based e17 distro. They have 32 and 64 bit versions, their community doesn't appear very big yet, but from the posts I've read they are very friendly and welcoming, definately a distro I'm going to keep an eye on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: OzOs

Post by exploder »

Is there a 32 bit Live CD available now?

Edit: I see there is a 32 bit Live CD. I might try it on an old pc that has been collecting dust for a while.
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

exploder-
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about it once you try it out, since you are the distro tester supreme. :mrgreen:
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Sounds very interesting, I'm gonna have to try this one out.

Except, I have my machine set up perfect now and don't want to install anything or delete anything on my (full) harddrive, so what happens if I like it? :(
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

Ookami-
lol, I know what you mean. I have it in virtualboxes on 2 of my comptuers. It runs great in virtual box. I think I may try and put it on a hand me down laptop for further testing.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Just had a quick go of the live CD and quite enjoyed it... really fast. Will need to investigate further myself.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I was glad to have read about Oz OS in this thread. I downloaded the Oz OS Live CD a while ago. I was surprised at how animated the desktop was in the default mode. It took a few minutes to figure out the left-click opening a menu in the middle of the screen, and the side panel on the right was an accidental discovery. This is my first experience with Enlightenment, so it took me a few minutes to get my bearings. I have not installed Oz OS on any system yet, but it has many interesting possibilities. If you get bored for entertainment, take Oz OS out for a spin.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

It is a fun OS to use. It's also very beautiful.
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by awong »

I've loaded and ran the 32bit version with 192Mb RAM in Virtualbox and it seems to function quite well; later I may try to install it on my old Toshiba Celeron laptop.
geminict

Post by geminict »

I download this distro and installed it on an Asus eee 701. For the purposes we had in mind (a small netbook to present Power Points and show videos to students at remote lecture halls) it has worked. It's front-end is beautiful, its built on a very reduced Ubuntu Hardy platform and its very quick (again ideal for our very specific purposes). I had to install all the codecs to play videos and Open Office and some True Type fonts after upgrading the install. A warning though, updating appears to corrupt the graphics so you need to reboot. Having been positive so far, I am really not sure this has huge mainstream appeal, it will take a bit of patience to sort out issues and is not the best Enlightenment-based distro to start with. Moon OS 2 is much more complete and has wider suitability to users and is nearly as fast. Other Enlightenment distros I have tried all look better on first view but all ultimately disappoint with frequent crashes and are just a bit too buggy for normal use. Here is a link to a review I found before trying it http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ozos.html and I must say I had precisely the same issues to deal with. But if you like to play and sort things out you can be rewarded with a very different and fast OS (yes it is faster than Mint XFCE and Fluxbox that I tried out), otherwise stick to LinuxMint or Moon OS (which I am fairly sure is built on Mint).

Return to “Chat about Linux”