Howto install Linux Mint of a Zonbu Mini solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BelAus

Howto install Linux Mint of a Zonbu Mini solved

Post by BelAus »

Can anyone tell how (if possible) I can install Linux Mint on a Zonbu Mini? A Zonbu mini does not have a hard drive or cd/dvd rom so I would somehow need to be able to install Mint via USB?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Howto install Linux Mint of a Zonbu Mini

Post by Husse »

A Zonbu mini does not have a hard drive or cd/dvd
So, what the heck is it?
Of course you could prepare a USB stick - look in the how to section for advice

Post by Guest »

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zonbu and http://compactpc.com.tw/ebox-4854.htm.

The reason I was asking is because it uses a 1.2 GHz Via Eden CPU (C7 Esther core) with 512 MB RAM.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Is the Zonbu designed as a closed-system? It looks like it is supposed to access specific online services, with very little flash ram storage locally. For you to have any storage, you will have to add a 2.5 HDD. While this system certainly has its advantages, it has several disadvantages, as well. Only you can determine your exact needs, but I feel this may not be the best avenue for you to take if you want a Linux system. I am not saying it can not be done, but there are other options available to you which just might be less of a hassle. This is just my opinion, but I would like to hear the suggestions and comments of others on the Zonbu machine. I am always interested in learning new knowledge.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Browsing through those links, theoretically it is possible. The online services are only for backup, additional storage and maintenance. The 4GB of flash memory should be enough if you don't plan to install any big/additional programs. My Mint 5 takes up just under 3 Gigs of space. You're probably gonna have to create a Live USB of Mint 5 to make the installation. I came across an article about installing Mint 5 to a USB in pendrivelinux.

Link http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/31 ... m-windows/

From what I can understand, that's an actual installation and not a Live USB and you have to use windows. But if you have the means, maybe you can try mounting your Zonbu Mini to a windows machine as a USB device and follow the instructions in the article.
BelAus

Post by BelAus »

The device does have 4 GB compactFlash which should be enoug for the distro no?

The Zonbu OS is actually a Gentoo based linux distro hence my interest in trying another distro.

I will have a look at the PenDriveLinux!
BelAus

Post by BelAus »

Don't think I can use the pendrivelinux since I don't have windows. I just stumbled across DreamLinux which offers a USB install: http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/tutorials/ ... stall.html I may give that a go.
chrislang

Post by chrislang »

I'm trying to install Linux Mint on a Zonbu mini. I've set up a bootable USB disk, which works as a live version (I'm using it to type this). I went through the installation process, apparently successfully. But when I started the Zonbu, it let me log in, asked a couple of questions (about root password and fortunes) and then gave me a black screen. I waited about 10 minutes but nothing was happening.

Any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed! Thanks in advance.
chrislang

Post by chrislang »

I sort of solved this by installing the Xfce version of Mint - also from a USB stick. It's up and running and seems fine.

Return to “Installation & Boot”