lock symbol on folders when copied from dvd

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timedragon
Level 1
Level 1

lock symbol on folders when copied from dvd

Post by timedragon »

Hi; when I copy a file from a dvd to my desktop or home folder in Elyssa ; it is locked and shows the lock symbol. This never happened to me with Daryna. Is there someway to prevent this from happeining. The only way I can delete the files after is through the terminal
thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: lock symbol on folders when copied from dvd

Post by MagnusB »

You can use chown in a terminal to change owner of the file. It could be because of ownership when burning the file, or just how the DVD is mounted. I would just use chown to changer the owner of the file after copying it:

Code: Select all

sudo chown newowner /path/to/file.extension
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
timedragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timedragon »

Thanks, but why would a dvd have different ownership? In windows when you load files from a DVD or cd there is no ownership assigned to it and it didnt do this with Daryna
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It depends on how it is mounted, but if you only get some files I am not so sure if it is a mount issue...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

CavalierBob wrote: K3B has a (somewhat buried) setting in the Burn dialog box to keep file permissions (backup).
That sounds great in theory, until you try to use the backup disk in another computer. I'd rather have the permissions stripped out. It's simple enough to restore them after copying the files back to my hard drive.

Return to “Beginner Questions”