youtube?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billybag

youtube?

Post by billybag »

anyone else not able to watch videos on youtube. i am using linux mint 5 with the new firefox
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: youtube?

Post by Husse »

Youtube is a problem for anyone - problems in Win too
I thought we managed to fix this in the final, but you are not alone
I'll mark this so I can get back to you and a few others when/if I find a solution
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

YouTube works on my end. At least the history videos do, anyway. Every so often, I may have to reload a page due to Adobe's Flash not working properly, but it is the fault of Adobe, Not Firefox or Mint. I have found that Firefox 3 is more stable with Flash than Firefox 2 was. I do not have any fancy 3D effects enabled, either. I use standard/solid/open-source drivers, and my video experience is more reliable than others I keep reading about. I just wanted to say that a standard install of Mint 5 with Firefox 3 simply works as it should.
billybag

Post by billybag »

yeah. It i actually didnt realize that Adobe was not yet installed. i installed it and now it works a bit better. it works well until i use and greasemonkey scripts that enable the us of NON auto playback (i hat the autoplay on youtube). Howver this requires a different video player i believe and it is possible i just dont have that video player
morty007

Post by morty007 »

Youtube worked for me yesterday, bu today it's just a blank screen. Anyone know what's going on?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Morty, I just tested again. Everything works on my end. Maybe you need to refresh the page or restart Firefox. Maybe it is just the certain video, so you may wish to try another just to verify.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Not to forget the old trick Empty the trash - sorry cache :)
morty007

Post by morty007 »

Well I had to boot back into XP for a bit and now on reboot everything is ok :D
morty007

Post by morty007 »

Actually it's not as it turns out. I was watching a video on youtube and put the mouse to the upper right hand side to do the scale effect. That shut down the video and now it's just an empty white space where the video is suppose to be! :x
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Morty,
If you are running compiz and all of the whiz-bang graphics, then you are more likely to have issues. We all keep forgetting that compiz is still beta software, so there will be glitches here and there with the eye candy. Only you will be able to balance the eye candy with stability on your machine. Do some more testing, and hopefully you will find a comfortable medium. Good luck!
morty007

Post by morty007 »

I actually didn't know that compiz is beta. I'm a linux noob. Restarting firefox seems to fix it. I wonder when compiz will be out of beta.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Morty,
I was just repeating what I picked up over in the openSUSE forums. You may wish to do a little further research into compiz when you get a chance. It can be extremely educational, plus you might even pick up a few tricks to share.

In the meantime, your method of restarting Firefox seems to work. The Firefox/Flash/YouTube combination is an odd one to begin with. Sometimes, that balance can be tipped. All in all, I am getting better results with Mint 5 and Firefox 3 than I was with Firefox 2. We all have to keep tweaking and adjusting our systems to get just what we want.
ferrix

Post by ferrix »

I had no problem with youtube on the day I installed Elyssa. Today I started to enable some spiffing desktop eye-candy and then I wondered over to youtube to find that now the spot where the videos used to appear ... was blank! I turned the eye candy back down and youtube came back. So try that... BTW, all those compiz goodies can interfere with Google Earth as well - something I've encountered in slightly older systems, but worth keeping in mind.
nibbo

Post by nibbo »

I am having similar problems as you people... I see a white/gray box instead of flash on pages. I turned of all desktop-effects but that does not seem to help. Any ideas?

Return to “Software & Applications”