Evolution Syncevolution set up script solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Evolution Syncevolution set up script solved

Post by Fergus »

Hey all, i am messing around with trying to get my wm6 pda to talk to evolution. In order to do this i have used myfunambol portal so that if there are any changes my mobile phone will see them This also works pretty well for when i come to upgrade my phone. I will always have a compatible contact list and calendar to transfer to my new phone.

ok so just to clarify the situation:

wm6 pda --->myfunambol<----syncevolution<------evolution

i have installed evolution from the mint software portal, and syncevolution according to these instructions. Please note that the compatibility list states that version 2.12 is compatible with hardy heron and hence it should be ok for elyssa. Also, just in case anyone is looking at this think i should do this, the path to the example configs is /usr/share/doc/syncevolution.
Once installed it is important to note that the config scripts only enable the address book for myfunambol. This is due to compatibility issues that i believe are still continuing to be resolved, if you are interested see here and here. Suffice to say that the calendar compatibility and afew other features is patchy. Anyway i persevered with the config scripts and managed to get the calendar and address book to sync.

What i was wondering was how i can get sync evolution to run with evolution? Syncevolution is a command line interface and i am not sure if both evolution and syncevolution can be run in parallel or i need a cronjob or have syncevolution run when i have an internet connection on boot? Should i just create a launcher in mint menu and go from there?

Has anyone any reccomendations on how to approach this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Evolution Syncevolution set up script

Post by Husse »

You deserve an answer but honestly I haven't got a clue - don't use a pda
Evolution and/or syncevolution may have support and I think I read something about a GUI for syncevolution
Genesis
http://my.opera.com/freedo/blog/2007/12 ... cevolution
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fergus »

Husse......!!! This was just what i was looking for!

I don't mind a gui as then i don't have to worry about scheduling. I have downloaded the tarball, but i am a little stuck on how to install. I think i have covered all the dependencies.
How would you install this?

Thanks
Husse

Post by Husse »

How would you install this?
I would not :)
No read me?
Normally there is a read me in the tar ball
I would try to use alien though
If you don't find out wait a couple of days and bump - I have so many answers waiting for me now...
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fergus »

bumped!!

Husse, the tar ball has no installation instructions just dependencies. :(
Husse

Post by Husse »

That's a bit odd - any instructions on the home page?
It's BIG holidays here so let me come back to you
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fergus »

Never mind Husse,

the package has been updated with a readme that does tell you how to install. I already had all the dependencies so everything is fine.
the new readme is here http://launchpadlibrarian.net/15414099/README

thanks again!

Return to “Beginner Questions”