Using Firefox ESR

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
woodsman

Using Firefox ESR

Post by woodsman »

We just started using LMDE, fully updated. Quite pleased but we are very new to Debian and Mint.

We would like to use Firefox ESR. I would appreciate a link to a good how-to for how that is done in Mint.

My apologies for my poor search skiils.

Thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Using Firefox ESR

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi woodsman,

You can get the latest Firefox ESR (24.4.0) here.
Just make sure you get the correct one, 32 or 64 bit. Download it and unpack it (it's one folder) in the same place you downloaded it to.
In a separate file manager window navigate to /opt and open it as Root. Rename the firefox folder there, then copy the unpacked firefox folder and paste it into /opt.

To prevent Firefox from being updated enter the following in a terminal: sudo apt-mark hold firefox
If ever want to undo the hold command use: sudo apt-mark unhold firefox

That's it. :D
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

You can get the latest Firefox ESR (24.4.0) here.
Just make sure you get the correct one, 32 or 64 bit. Download it and unpack it (it's one folder) in the same place you downloaded it to.
In a separate file manager window navigate to /opt and open it as Root. Rename the firefox folder there, then copy the unpacked firefox folder and paste it into /opt.
Ah, so the replacement process is 100% manual?

Are there reasons why you suggest renaming the existing directory rather than remove with the package manager?
To prevent Firefox from being updated enter the following in a terminal: sudo apt-mark hold firefox
If ever want to undo the hold command use: sudo apt-mark unhold firefox
Thanks. Is that the same as using Lock in Synaptic?
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi woodsman,
Ah, so the replacement process is 100% manual?
Yes.
Are there reasons why you suggest renaming the existing directory rather than remove with the package manager?
If you remove it with the package manager then the system will not know you have replaced it manually. It won't show up in the Menu anymore. nor in preferred applications. Basically, if you remove it you are just making more work for yourself. All of this can be overcome, but I'm just lazy. :wink:
Is that the same as using Lock in Synaptic?
No, it's not. You should do that as well if you ever use Synaptic to update the system.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

you can also grab firefox's deb from another distro :3
now I'm using the one from solydxk repo.

Code: Select all

# first of all, add this repo into your repo list
deb http://packages.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main upstream import kdenext
#after that, in your terminal run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox-esr

Return to “LMDE Archive”