Partitioning for Dual Boot and Development

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Partitioning for Dual Boot and Development

Post by Husse »

Well this is not going to be easy
No problems deleting F and have a lot of unallocated space - do that right away...
BUT:
The tmp partition D is the extended partition (You should just know how much problems I've got with drive letters....)
Without logical partitions....
To do any partitioning you should have the extended partition at the end i.e. where F is now
I don't think you can change which partition is the extended and this means you have to move D. As there is data in E this will take "forever" (leave it over night ...)
Once you have the extended at the rear you extend it :) to cover the rest of the disk (done in seconds without any partitions present)
Make logical partitions to your need
Swap, Mint and data partitions
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Partitioning for Dual Boot and Development

Post by locutus »

Are you saying that -- at present -- you don't need D: E: or F:? (Yes, copy E: onto an external drive for now). If that is the case just delete all three. Then use an app (see below) to delete and recreate partition E: and copy your data back. Don't delete the backup copy just yet. Also create F: again if you want -- but if you think you might want it at some point in the future, now is the time to make it.

This is the important part. You should have 2 (or 3 including F: if you made it) partitions. Make the last partition on the disk -- all the rest of the space, an Extended partition. From there, make as many partitions as you want as Logical partitions INSIDE the Extended partition. Make 3 at least; one for root, "/", one for home "/home" and one swap "/swap". Make more if you want. The root partition only needs to be about 10 Gigs, and swap 2 times as much as the RAM that you have. If you only create these 3 partitions, they will be labelled as sda5, sda6, and sda7; it doesn't matter if you only have C: & D:, they will be sda1 & sda2; Logical partitions wll always start at "5", as in sda5.

You can use an app called PartedMagic to erase and create all these other partitions. You can download it from Distrowatch.com here:
http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distri ... l&year=all
Click the word Download at the bottom of the description, that will start the download. It's not very big. It is a LiveCD that, after you burn it on a CD from Windows, you can reboot into this and do all you need to do.

Good idea to wait for someone to back me up on this, to make sure I didn't forget a step.

EDIT: Of course, if you have Partition Magic or something similar on your Windows, you can use that if you're familiar with how it works. It would do the job just as well as PartedMagic.

Return to “Beginner Questions”