Wireless Network List Dissapears

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oxf

Wireless Network List Dissapears

Post by oxf »

My WiFi card works fine and displays all in range networks etc. But I noticed if I left the PC unused for a while the list is no longer displayed. Eventualy after messing around with the timing for all the power management options I've isolated exactly when this happens. It's linked to when the screensaver kicks in. Now I don't have a screensaver enabled as such but set it to fade to blank screen after x number of minutes but the process is the same.

If I am connected to the WiFi when the screensaver kicks in it remains connected so it's just the list of networks that vanishes when the screensaver kicks in. To get it back I have to right click on the Wireless aplet and disable WiFi, then click again and re-enable. Then the list is displayed again.

Any ideas why this is happenning and how to fix it?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Wireless Network List Dissapears

Post by gtsfer »

I don't know why the network applet does this, but on LMDE it "loses track of" available connections even without the screensaver kicking in. They just disappear from the list of networks after a short period of time.

Same as you, if I disable "wireless" and re-enable it refreshes the list and they all come back again. There's no fix that I'm aware of, but a workaround if you want to install Wicd or Wifi Radar. These little extra packages don't seem prone to losing track of available access points like the built in nm applet.

I've more or less just learned to live with it and do the manual "disable/enable" refresh method if I need to.
oxf

Post by oxf »

Thanks. I suppose it's hardware related because it only happens on an old laptop!
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

oxf wrote:Thanks. I suppose it's hardware related because it only happens on an old laptop!
No, I think it's a global problem with all version of LM. I have LM 13 Mate 32-bit on an old laptop. I have LMDE Mate 64-bit on a desktop. I have run a few other versions of Linux in the last year too. All versions of Linux Mint seem to exhibit this little quirk. :)

LM 13 seems to do it less so than the newer versions. But it's still there.
oxf

Post by oxf »

You might be right. The only thing is I've put Mint on three PC's now, two here and on a friends and the only one which is exhibiting this issue is my older Compaq Laptop. So who knows??
Either way I guess I can live with it.

Return to “Networking”