Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

autocrosser

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by autocrosser »

GeneC wrote:Hey AC... :)

Well its wait on Siduction then..

LOL...Trust Siduction to "unleash" it first....
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Riko wrote:3.12, huh? Sounds like we are going to have some fun soon :) Don't forget to keep you back-up image at hand :)

Cheers!
I run 2 systems--one is backdated a week from the other, so I can just run back to it when the "main" system blows up :) (I update system #2 on Sundays after I know the prior week was ok)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

autocrosser wrote:Well--It is looking like the Debian boys are bypassing 3.10 & moving straight to 3.12 (better in my mind anyway).....We will see when 3.12 is released in the next couple of weeks..
Yep! Todays DU in SID breaks 3.10.... :shock:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 87#p840287
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

GeneC wrote:
autocrosser wrote:Well--It is looking like the Debian boys are bypassing 3.10 & moving straight to 3.12 (better in my mind anyway).....We will see when 3.12 is released in the next couple of weeks..
Yep! Todays DU in SID breaks 3.10.... :shock:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 87#p840287
:) And here we go.....
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Here's where its at: http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.12-status.html

Not looking too bad.......
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

^ Going to wait a bit on 3.12.... :P

=====================

Just wanted to pass this along in case it effects any others. I just installed Gnome Shell 3.8.4 on top of Debian Testing (Jessie) XFCE and has an issue not encountered with XFCE alone. All kinds of udev error messages on boot.

about 30-40 instances of below...(../var/log/dmesg..)

Code: Select all

[...]
udevd[541]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event' 'socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event': No such file or directory
[...]
The fix is to removed hal.

gene@zordon:~$ sudo apt-cache policy hal
[sudo] password for gene: 
hal:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.5.14-8
  Version table:
     0.5.14-8 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages

HAL provides an abstract view on hardware.

This abstraction layer is simply an interface that makes it possible to
add support for new devices and new ways of connecting devices to the
computer, without modifying every application that uses the device.
It maintains a list of devices that currently exist, and can provide
information about those upon request.
Its no longer needed.... :wink:
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well---After several blow-ups with my main system & running to my backup Sid install......I am now in a "almost" updated 3.12.1 Gnome (sigh of relief)...works SO much better than 3.8 or 3.10--I even have a Nautilus that will really display desktop backgrounds...Only thorn is that Gnome-control-center is not playing nice...I've got a bug report in on that one....Good to be at /home again.
GregE

Post by GregE »

I now have a working 3.12. The other biggy is Sid just converted me to systemd. It has some issue where it sits for about 15 seconds during the boot, but then it goes through to GDM3. I am just pleased to have it working, investigating the systemd issue can wait until tomorrow.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Glad to see you made it!!! Is the 3.12 version of Gnome-control-center working for you? If not--see if your bug is the same as this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=745982 My install may be just a very old one & have lots of cruft in it--I get a depends on libcogl.so.15 & the current version installed is libcogl.so.20

On a note: Extensions that are working for me: Backslide (wallpaper changer), Lock Keys (with a metadata update), Uptime Indicator (with a metadata update), User Themes (of course!!), Gpaste extension (metadata change) & Weather

Other things I have seen & not bug reported yet--Gnome log viewer floods output badly when its window is in focus & looking at syslog (can you check & verify that?) & Synaptic uses 1 cpu for a extended period before becoming useable (again, can you check that?)

By the way--I bug reported systemd-cron & have updates to make it "really" work--pulled from upstream & modified for Debian--If you want those--I'll post the changes here.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well--updates for Gnome-Shell, Gnome-Shell-common & Gnome-control-center just were posted a couple of hours ago. Hoping control-center got fixed.....

Well--Control-center now works.....waiting for the newest GS & GS-common updates....

Update: All are fixed now...quick work on the devs part :)
Selection_001.jpg
Selection_002.jpg
GregE

Post by GregE »

Autocrosser, I have an issue with GDM3 causing havoc. When using GDM my system takes ages to boot and will not shut down from the Gnome menu. Also Synaptic will not start from the Gnome menu and has to be started from a command line. And, yes, it takes some time to start.

But, when I switch to lightdm these issue go away. Synaptic starts from the menu and starts quickly and there are no blips in the CPU usage. Startup and shut down are fast and furious.

I am a light user of extensions. Weather, Dash to Dock and Removable Drives menu are all good. I have not tried modifying any 3.8 extensions. User themes working and I am running XGnome-Enhanced without issue.

I will install Gnome Log Viewer and see what happens.

Edit: My Log Viewer looks Ok. I tried moving, resizing, full sizing with the system log in the window and it was fine. Some interesting errors displayed.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Interesting....

GDM3 is working very well for me, but Synaptic & Gnome-Log-Viewer run one of my cpu cores at 100% for somewhere between 1 & 5 minutes before the programs output...I guess my next step is to see what the overlapping depends are for both... I'll post the likely candidates when I get a grip on the issue & see if your system is using a older version of it/them....

Synaptic is just a lazy way out program for me :) , but Log-viewer I really tend to use quite a bit.....

I've dumped the depends info for all 3 offenders--now comes a bit of reading......
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

OK--More Info....
Running Synaptic from the terminal is not getting me anything interesting, but running Gnome-System-Log is :)

First: the common depends between GDM3, Synaptic & Gnome-System-Log---

Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4)
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4)
Depends: libcairo-gobject2 (>= 1.10.0)
Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4)
Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0)
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0)
Depends: libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.0.0)
Depends: libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0)
Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0)

Terminal output from a locked up Gnome-System-Log:

(gnome-system-log:8731): Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_widget_captured_event: assertion 'WIDGET_REALIZED_FOR_EVENT (widget, event)' failed

(gnome-system-log:8731): Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_widget_captured_event: assertion 'WIDGET_REALIZED_FOR_EVENT (widget, event)' failed

This floods the terminal as long as I have a cursor in the Gnome-System-Log window.....

I'm betting I've got similar problems in GDM3 & Synaptic... my libgtk-3-0 version is 3.12.1-1 What is your version?

So I'm going to do a bug report on Gnome-System-Log--as it is the one that I can replicate easily....

Bug Report is: 746205
Last edited by autocrosser on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregE

Post by GregE »

My libgtk-3 version is the same.

My system has been damaged with a few too many dips into dependency hell. Once systemd and Gnome 3.12 slide down to testing I think a clean install might be in order. My GDM3 issues stem from dipping into experimental. Running lightdm is, so far, making things work well. There must be some missing functionality.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

GregE wrote:My libgtk-3 version is the same.

My system has been damaged with a few too many dips into dependency hell. Once systemd and Gnome 3.12 slide down to testing I think a clean install might be in order. My GDM3 issues stem from dipping into experimental. Running lightdm is, so far, making things work well. There must be some missing functionality.
Hmmm....Well I'm not as sure as I was 10 minutes ago....I still reported the bug, I "think" that there is some glitch in libgtk3 that is affecting those programs...I'm going to do some more reinstalling to see if I can pin it down a bit more......Heres hoping that gets it done.......................

Just so you know--- Accepted systemd 208-1 (source amd64) was in my Inbox about 3 hours ago.......
GregE

Post by GregE »

I re-activated GDM3 and rebooted. I get the same error you get with Synaptic. CPUs running at 100% for one core and high usage for other three. It lasts for about 45 seconds then Synaptic starts normally and CPUs go back to idle.

With GDM as my display manager I cannot use gksu, So Synaptic has to be invoked from a terminal and shutdown has to also be invoked from a terminal. For my system gksu is a likely candidate for the source of my issues. When I switch to LightDM gksu functions correctly and thus so does Synaptic and shutdown. Synaptic starts instantly without the CPU spikes.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

It looks like we have similar, but different problems...I can use gksu & my system shuts down from the menu. I "think" that GDM3 is a bit slower than it has been, but I can't put a number on that....just impression. Gnome-System-Log is my big problem--it is totally unacceptable & not usable in its current state..not really sure why it is flooding the terminal that way--sure looks like a gtk problem---but I've been wrong before.....
GregE

Post by GregE »

I decided enough was enough and installed a clean Debian Testing with Xfce, then dist-upgraded to Sid, added a few Minty bits then installed Gnome Shell 3.8 from Sid. It pulled in GDM3 3.8. System is fast and systemd causes no issue for me with GDM nor Synaptic - nor anything else so far.

I think I will just wait for 3.12 to trickle down because my system is now working as it should and experimental dependency hell is rarely worth the trouble.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Sounds good...glad you have a stable system. My install has been working without a glitch (cross fingers) & as new things come up---I'll post about them :)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well--Its been a very uneventful summer...3.14 should be out in the next couple of weeks--I'm seeing the depends start to trickle into experimental. I "should" have a working 3.14 within the next few days or so... GTK3 updated last night & I now have transparency in my windows (nice to see!!!)

Updates: https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.14-status.html
Screenshot.jpg
Its subtle, but nice :)
Screenshot.jpg
And here we are.....

Return to “LMDE Archive”