Firefox 3 scrolls slowly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox 3 scrolls slowly

Post by hoppel »

Hi,

I don't know, whether this is some kind of bug or whether this is caused by a bad configuration: I recently installed Elyssa, and with it the new Firefox 3. I'm really satisfied with it, it loads pages faster and has some other nice goodies. But when it comes to scrolling up and down a page, it seems to be quite slow. I also tested FF3 under Windows, where this doesn't happen. I compared it with Opera, which also seems to be faster. I tested Swiftfox, a cpu-optimized version of FF, and it is quite the same problem. Maybe this has nothing to do with the software itself, but with the graphics driver (ATI 9600 with the nonfree driver), because I also have problems with playing videos smoothly.
But I really don't know and would appreciate any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Firefox 3 scrolls slowly

Post by rivenought »

Is your slow-scrolling on all pages, or just a select few? I find it depends on the page itself, most times. Most pages are fine, while a few just creep along. Overall, this is not a problem for me, but just something to note.

Also, you may wish to check your Firefox > Edit > Preferences > Advanced, then choose the General tab. The "Use Smooth Scrolling" might be an issue, but you may wish to verify that.

That is all I can think of right away. Good luck.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

Well, it depends a bit on the content. It's simply the more content, the slower the browser. But as far as I can see it has nothing to do with complex scripts on a page.
And "use smoothe scrolling" makes it only worse, with that option enabled FF3 is nearly unusable. It just surges at a slower rate...
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Yeah, I usually keep "smooth scrolling" turned off and get better response. It never hurts to verify your options, though. Different hardware has different results.

Also, we have to remember that Firefox 3 is still in Beta. The final is to be released any day now, so possibly this issue has already been addressed. I am going to wait and see what flows downstream to us.

I just wanted you to know that you are not the only person with slight issues with the scrolling in Firefox 3. While a temporary annoyance, it is just a minor problem in the greater whole. When one beta tests, one expects a few glitches. Linux Mint still is tops in my book in comparison to all of the other distros I run and test.

Return to “Software & Applications”