My Micromax 377G dongle isn't working on Linux Mint 16

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petrauser

My Micromax 377G dongle isn't working on Linux Mint 16

Post by Petrauser »

I am a new user of Linux. Currently, I am using Linux Mint 16 xfce on USB drive. However, my micromax 377G dongle isn't being detected on Linux.
I read a few articles, and learnt about usb_modeswitch. I installed it, but my dongle is still undetected.
So, guys, please tell me what I can do.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My Micromax 377G dongle isn't working on Linux Mint 16

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu, and Ubuntu has a much larger user base. Please search for hardware issues first with adding the keyword "Ubuntu", to get relevant hits (I searched "Ubuntu Micromax 377G" and got immediate seemingly helpful hits). If that doesn't get you anywhere, search with keyword "Linux" instead of "Ubuntu".

This seems to be what you need: http://code-cocktail.in/micromax-3g-dat ... on-ubuntu/

The modem comes with drivers embedded on the device. That post seems to be the steps for accessing and installing the drivers from the device itself.

You may have to undo what you have done yourself so far.
Petrauser

Post by Petrauser »

Thank you for replying. I visited the link u put in ur reply. The codes provided there are for Ubuntu , I guess. I tried to run them on terminal emulator and got weird responses, like fine not found, no such command, etc. What should I do?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You typed the > character in front of the commands, didn't you? That is commonly used to indicate the terminal prompt. Don't type it...
Petrauser

Post by Petrauser »

xenopeek wrote:You typed the > character in front of the commands, didn't you? That is commonly used to indicate the terminal prompt. Don't type it...
Well, it worked and I connected te the internet.However, when I installed mint, it deleted all the files frm D and F drive. To connect, I tried to all the procedure again, but the second and the third code is not working, now, after intallation.Yes, the second and third code given in the ling u mentioned in ur 1st comment.It deleted winxp frm drive E also.So, I can't even connect to the internet, now.m on phone.I donno what to do.Please help
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Boot your usb drive with Mint 16 xfce on it.
Open the file manager and see if you can read the hard drive partitions.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Petrauser

Post by Petrauser »

Well, now everything is fine and working. Thanks every1.
However, when I type this code -" ls /dev/tty* " to check the com ports , the last four lines don't appear until I unplug and plug my dongle again. When I was using xp, I never unplugged my dongle. Now, I have to unplug it and plug again every time I boot. Is there anyway I can resolve this.
Petrauser

Post by Petrauser »

or is there anyway i can get connected automatically every time i log in?

Return to “Hardware Support”