SOLVED: Not able to add new user after install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: Not able to add new user after install

Post by lanrun »

I earlier had Mint 4.
Yesterday I installed Mint 5, mounting my earlier home partition as /home, not formatting it.
I created the primary user during the installation, with the same username as before. The primary user is able to access his home.

When I as the primary user want to add the other users to, this is not possible.
I go through the add user dialog in the control center and it seems to be alright.
But when I open the add user dialog again afterwards, the new user does not show up in the list.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Not able to add new user after install

Post by Husse »

This was mentioned as a bug several times in the betas and I thought it was solved
I can't find the topics about the release of the betas which I believe had some solution to it
And I don't find anything about it for Hardy in a quick search but I know the problem exists there too
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

It is strange this occurs as a bug now in Mint 5 when it worked in Mint 4.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Is this a rare event or not ? as it is a show stopper really for new installs. Surprised at lack of comments by devs - are there other more important issues that require their attention ?
Comments ?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Anything may happen with computers - it's one of their characteristics :)
I have no time to look into this so I requested some help
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Is it possible the bug with the root account that causes this trouble?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Don't think so but it's in the same general area
I'll get back to you hopefully before monday
drbogi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drbogi »

lanrun wrote:It is strange this occurs as a bug now in Mint 5 when it worked in Mint 4.
Not for me. I have same bug in Daryna, so I first renamed other accounts folders in home, then create again old users, copy or cut their files in new created folders, and delete previously renamed folders. Then fix ownership of files and folders, for new added users.
I think, problem is caused with ownership, not related with root account.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Damn
phpBB sucks in some respects - I want to search for add user, but oh no....
Can you add a user in the terminal? (man adduser)
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Husse wrote:Damn
phpBB sucks in some respects - I want to search for add user, but oh no....
Can you add a user in the terminal? (man adduser)
Today I installed Mint 5 Elyssa R1.
Now I tried to add a new user, and it worked.
I don't intend to go back to Mint 5 Elyssa to test over again this issue.

For me problem is solved.
rps63ifid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rps63ifid »

I've installed LM5 on two systems to date, and I've seen this problem on one of the systems (the other is really just a single user box). I had added several user accounts in addition to my own, but then when I later wanted to modify one of them, I couldn't get the user admin tool to prompt me for my password (the "unlock" button was insensitive). Even running it from the command line with sudo did nothing. I restarted the system and it behaved as expected....

I'm sure there's nothing here that will help shed any light on the problem, but I did run into it.
@go
Level 1
Level 1

Post by @go »

I have the SAME problem!!! :-(
Please nobody can help???
lanrun wrote:I earlier had Mint 4.
Yesterday I installed Mint 5, mounting my earlier home partition as /home, not formatting it.
I created the primary user during the installation, with the same username as before. The primary user is able to access his home.

When I as the primary user want to add the other users to, this is not possible.
I go through the add user dialog in the control center and it seems to be alright.
But when I open the add user dialog again afterwards, the new user does not show up in the list.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

@go wrote:I have the SAME problem!!! :-(
Please nobody can help???
lanrun wrote:I earlier had Mint 4.

I think upgrading mintAssistant to ver 2.5 and then launch mintAssistant to choose whether you want to set a root password or not. If you choose not to, a random password will be assigned for you, or installing Mint 5 Rev1 will solve your problem.
matheos

Post by matheos »

i've installed mint 5 r1 and i still have this problem.... i got the same on 5.0 beta dist-upgraded to last..... (all of them with backported packages update installed)....i cant access the unlock button....... i've tried with root account activated too
matheos

Post by matheos »

ive got that when i ran "users-admin" from commandline :
** (users-admin:15913): CRITICAL **: Unable to find session for cookie
if i run it with sudo...same thing...unable to change everythings.... but with a different error :
** (users-admin:15988): CRITICAL **: Unable to lookup session information for process '15988'
maybe i've find the answer somewhere...i going back to confirm ....check this post :

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-653921.html
matheos

Post by matheos »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I comfirm the solution!!!

you have to add your login name at the end of the polkituser in /etc/group
dont forget to logout/login!
matheos

Post by matheos »

:( i've got an other issue on the same topic....
the last solution work well after a reboot, but, if you unlock it, close it, and logout/login, you got an other error and the unlock button is still unavailable :
** (users-admin:6963): CRITICAL **: Cannot create session bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-63YcerO3xw: Connexion refusée

** (users-admin:6963): CRITICAL **: Unable to find session for cookie
enough for today....
@go
Level 1
Level 1

Post by @go »

I resolved in this way, from mintAssistant I enabled root user, then I logged in as root, I added the user, I relogged with my account, and from mintAssistant I disabled root user.
matheos

Post by matheos »

yeah...it's ok....but that's doesn't fix de bug......and long....better to open a terminal and add a user manually in /etc/group with nano.....

Return to “Installation & Boot”