Get The Sound Working In Skype With Linux Mint 16 64bit

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
dimoto

Re: Get The Sound Working In Skype With Linux Mint 16 64bit

Post by dimoto »

Now, please don't answer with question "Why you need to remove pulseaudio":
The reason is simple- my hardware doesn't work with pulseaudio :-) (Aspire one AOA 150, model ZG5)
So, before I fixed this simple just removing it, but now with PETRA I can't simply remove it!!!!!!!

Is there any way to switch to ALSA?
I removed pulseaudio and e.g. SKYPE started working perfect until I reboot the machine and then I get the above problem- can't log etc.

Any help?
dimoto

Post by dimoto »

Actually, this time pulseaudio works!
Before I had to remove it and use ALSA instead.
Now (Petra, CInnamon 32 bit) the first think I tried to remove pulseaudio, which crashed the whole installation...
After reinstalling Mint, I just went to sound controls and saw that the microphone (the original problem with my AspireONE) is enabled to use external mic. Enabling the internal mic and now even with Skype it works great.

Thanks Mint!
dreyT

Post by dreyT »

Worked on LM16 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux, but after some time and suspend/resume no sound at all from my speakers.
no errors but either no sounds.

Microphone didn't work at all. Alsamixer shows good level and no muting, audacity can't record anything.
racepics

Post by racepics »

I'm using LM16 Mate64 and have no sound in skype.
I've done the mods described at the start of this thread but it has made no difference.
I'm using Skype Version 4.3.0.37. The previous version of skype was working fine but according to an email from skype its being unsupported soon and I should get the latest.. I did that and now I have no sound.
In the skype options panel (sound devices tab) it says [It appears your system has PulseAudio running: to change the sound settings you need to use your Desktop Manager volume control or PulseAudio control.]
When I right-click on the volume control and choose Sound Preferences I find that volumes output is set to max already.

Sound works fine from other sources, video, music etc.

Return to “Tutorials”