Mint 15 not updating

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
allen.biggins

Mint 15 not updating

Post by allen.biggins »

I am using Linux Mint 15 Xfce 64 bit (here's the uname -a list:Linux allenb-P7812 3.8.0-25-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 6 20:47:07 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) and ever since installing it has always reported that my system is up to date. I suspect that there is something wrong but have no idea what to do. Previous versions of Mint used to update frequently and this makes me think that there is something wrong and I notice that others have had a similar problem. Help please. Allen

Addendum

I have just found the history of updates in the Update Manager and no updates have occurred since 2014.03.09 which I think has to be wrong. There should have been updates since then unless there's something that I am not aware of. A.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wanderer7

Re: Mint 15 not updating

Post by wanderer7 »

Maybe that's because Mint 15 is obsolete since January 2014. Take a look at this page: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

The good news is that Mint 17 (LTS) will be available soon.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
allen.biggins

Post by allen.biggins »

Thank you wanderer7. It hadn't occurred to me that I was using a version that was out of date as I had only just installed it. Here in the 'down under country' we're a little bit behind the rest of the world. I am surprised that I wasn't advised that it had expired and it seems to me that there should be some sort of system that advises users of such situations. Now that I'm aware of it I will stick to LTS versions but I guess they will expire also. How does one keep up with this moving target? Do I need to remind myself to look at that web page from time to time to check what the expiration date of the Mint version I am using?

The (amusing?) thing is that the previous version of Mint that I was using was Mint 13 and I see that version was an LTS one and is still being updated. If I had stayed with 13 I wouldn't have had the problem.

I'm very grateful to you for advising me of the obvious.

Cheers

Allen
Oz
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

allen.biggins wrote: How does one keep up with this moving target? Do I need to remind myself to look at that web page from time to time to check what the expiration date of the Mint version I am using?
Like austin.texas said, at the end of May, Mint 17 LTS will be available. If I'm not mistaken, LTS versions are supported for 5 years. So once you install LM 17, you'll recieve updates until 2019. Non-LTS versions are supported for 9 months only. Some people love installing a new system every 9 months, so... :mrgreen: If you're not one of them, then stick to the LTS versions, Allen.

The release cycle looks like this: 3 non-LTS - then LTS - 3 non-LTS - LTS, i.e. every fourth version is LTS.
In the past, LTS versions were supported for 3 years, non-LTS ones - for 18 months. That's why Mint 15 became obsolete earlier than Mint 14.

Return to “Other topics”