[SOLVED]Run same OS on laptop with hdd & DT with sdd

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chefslot

[SOLVED]Run same OS on laptop with hdd & DT with sdd

Post by chefslot »

Ok, first of i'm new, hi. So far so good, i dont have any hangups on mint.

My question is,,,, i use mint 13 xfce on my laptop and desktop. I keep a copy of a stable version on my external hdd, so any noobish mistakes are soon rebooted. I use my laptop as my test machine, so i know i have a up to date os, how i like it, on what ever machine i jump on, just a few tweeks in between them. Then if all is good i load onto my desktop. I keep about 3 back up's of mint on external hdd. So say i get into messing with wine etc, then a week later things start to crash, i can go back. Luckily this hasn't happened to me on this distro. After a big mess up and learning the hard way i'm going solid and stable.

Problem, just brought a ssd for my desktop. I use ext4 and ever time i have checked in the terminal i have been getting constant 0 for alignment. Been looking into trim and this is where i'm stuck, thinking my system of back ups of os's wont work.

Am i correct in saying that you tell the os to sort trim, if this is the case is it ok, too, once i install a more stable version on the desktop to trim the ssd, and can this be done easily and safely with each install.

When i say install i just use gparted to copy and paste one partition over the old one.

I hope all this makes sense, fire away if it doesn't.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chefslot

Re: Run same OS on laptop with hdd & DT with sdd

Post by chefslot »

Ok after further research it appears trim is a feature off the ssd.
chefslot

Post by chefslot »

I'm still confused as if i can have a ssd using trim with system files, and a normal hdd for data, aka a c drive and a d drive.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

chefslot wrote:I'm still confused as if i can have a ssd using trim with system files, and a normal hdd for data, aka a c drive and a d drive.
You can certainly install Mint on the SSD and then use the filesystem on the HDD to store your data files. What you won't be able to do is install apps to the HDD -- as installation is governed by the packages, not by you.

However, this presumes you have an actual SSD and an HDD, both with individual filesystems installed. If you have one of the newer hybrid SSD/HDD systems, this will not work as the SSD is used for caching.
chefslot

Post by chefslot »

Great stuff thanks. No hybrid.

What happens if in a couple of months time i decide that my os on my laptop is fine and stable and now want to load it onto my desktop pc, i would delete the partition on my ssd then copy my laptop one inplace of it.

a, is this ok to do with ssd?

b, will i then have to enable trim or will it still be enabled?

Regards jon
chefslot

Post by chefslot »

Is there a option to answer as solved etc on this forum, or a questions and answers bit?
leejosepho

Post by leejosepho »

chefslot wrote:Is there a option to answer as solved...?
Edit your first post and add "[SOLVED]" to the title.

Return to “Hardware Support”