choppy audio

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3

choppy audio

Post by angelbeast »

Hey again. Okay i'm having a problem with choppy audio when i play music files and streaming radio. it gets worse when i open and close other windows. I do have the same problem in both totem and RythmBox. any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Cinnamon
Razer Blade Pro 17in full HD
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3

Re: choppy audio

Post by angelbeast »

*BUMP*
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

Open a terminal, paste this in,

killall pulseaudio
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3

Post by angelbeast »

Missed wrote:Open a terminal, paste this in,

killall pulseaudio
That seems to have done the trick, thanks. Now is pulse audio something i can safely uninstall so i don't have to do that command every time? If so what's the best way to do it?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

angelbeast,

I am not sure if you really wish to completely uninstall Pulse Audio just yet. In theory, this is supposed to be the way audio is handled in Linux from here on out. Obviously, it is getting off to a bumpy start in some instances. Perhaps if you only disable Pulse Audio or set your current sources to ALSA, maybe, then you will have a better experience. I sure hope Pulse Audio will get better soon enough.

Only you can decide what is best for your system. If you do uninstall, it should be fairly easy to reinstall when it is less buggy.

I am trying to learn about Pulse Audio since it is the way things will soon be. I have not learned enough to advise you the exact procedure you need to use at this point, but I know there are others further along in their research. I do look forward to what they have to share.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

I am also greatly interested in this. I installed Elyssa on my brothers laptop, and he has no external sound (headphone socket I think) - yet his internal speakers are fine. When trying to access Pulse volume control, it says 'Connection refused'.

Browsing the net it seems quite a few people have had this problem, and I don't like how I can't use Audacity anymore....
So I'd also like to know how to uninstall it. Obviously it is the way of the future, but at the moment is causing me headaches. :(
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

I use Audacity, too. Turn off pulseaudio and try again. Works for me.

Use the killall I posted above.

Hope that helps.

@ angelbeast
As for uninstalling it, I too suggest you wait a while.

Return to “Sound”