[SOLVED] Installing a Canon Pixma IP6700D printer

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oldfiddler
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Installing a Canon Pixma IP6700D printer

Post by Oldfiddler »

The Canon IP6700D is a lovely photo printer and I mainly keep it for that purpose. In line with guidance elsewhere, I carried out the following in the terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon-trunk

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-ip6600dseries

Things seemed to have installed correctly and the printer is recognised by the PC. However, the problem is with the printing itself. I tried to print a document which had some normal text with a number of URLs included (highlighted as normal in blue): the result was only the URLs printed, with no surrounding text. A text pdf all in black came out totally blank. The Linux Mint test print page comes out with some decent colours but some fading in areas (not sure how it should look anyway). I have not yet tried any photo printing, as I don't want to waste consumables. The key issue seems to be the way it handles black text (or black generally?).

Any advice please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oldfiddler
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installing a Canon Pixma IP6700D printer

Post by Oldfiddler »

Any thoughts on this one from the experts? :(
I am running Linux Mint 16 64-bit.
Oldfiddler
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installing a Canon Pixma IP6700D printer

Post by Oldfiddler »

I thought other users might be interested in an update on this one. I'm going to mark it as SOLVED, although that is a bit of a cop out.

I did try some photo printing on LM16, using the drivers mentioned above. It was a disaster! Having searched around in vain for anything new in the driver line, I decided that I was never going to be able to use this printer in Linux. The "solution" I've now adopted is to run Windows XP Pro as a guest OS inside VirtualBox and to install the Canon drivers for Windows within that environment. That process had a few problems but now it's working well - more details are here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62552

This solution works for me because I want the Canon only for photo printing, which I can do occasionally in batches. If you want to use an unsupported Canon printer as more of a workhorse, then you might find this too much of a pain. Still, I offer the experience in case it is of use.

Return to “Hardware Support”