RESTORING the mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TANUJMINTLINUX

RESTORING the mint

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

CAN i restore my mint16 xfce installation to a previous state as one can do in windows 7.
If yes the how? :?: :?

[topic continued http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=166470 ]
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: RESTORING the mint

Post by karlchen »

Linux Mint does not create any system restore points. Therefore the answer is: on a Mint installation as it comes out of the box, you cannot.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

karlchen wrote:Linux Mint does not create any system restore points. Therefore the answer is: on a Mint installation as it comes out of the box, you cannot.
so is there really no way by which i can safeguard my apps installed in mint
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

There are ways of scheduling regular backups, e.g. using

+ Back in Time

+ Lucky Backup

+ Redo Backup & Recovery

+ the backup programme(s) that come pre-installed on Linux Mint

And when it comes to backing up and restoring whole disk partitions, then perhaps have a look at the software suggested in this thread, too: How to Full Backup & Restore Linux Mint 14?
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

karlchen wrote:There are ways of scheduling regular backups, e.g. using

+ Back in Time

+ Lucky Backup

+ Redo Backup & Recovery

+ the backup programme(s) that come pre-installed on Linux Mint

now suppose if i have to reinstall mint how can i do so without needing to reinstall software i installed on it
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

TANUJMINTLINUX wrote:now suppose if i have to reinstall mint how can i do so without needing to reinstall software i installed on it
This is a different question. Re-installing Linux Mint is different from restoring a previously created backup.

You should stick to the topic which you phrased yourself: "CAN i restore my mint16 xfce installation to a previous state".
And you should find out which of the suggested software products will fulfil your needs best and achieve the target of
+ creating system snapshots
+ which you can return to (restore) when need should be

If you find that out the need to re-install Linux Mint from the scratch may decrease dramatically.
Lifeline
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

There are two programs you could use to backup (and re-install) your software. Mint Backup and Synaptic.
Both programs can create a script to use for re-installation.

You can take it one step further. Before you install a new Mint, you can copy all of the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ in the old Mint, to a backup location.
Then after you install your new Mint, copy all of the .deb files in your backup to the new /var/cache/apt/archives/ folder.
That way the programs are already downloaded, saving you time and bandwidth - unless there is a newer version, in which case, the newer version will be downloaded and installed.
Then you use your script from Synaptic or Mint Backup to re-install
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

austin.texas wrote:There are two programs you could use to backup (and re-install) your software. Mint Backup and Synaptic.
Both programs can create a script to use for re-installation.

You can take it one step further. Before you install a new Mint, you can copy all of the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ in the old Mint, to a backup location.
Then after you install your new Mint, copy all of the .deb files in your backup to the new /var/cache/apt/archives/ folder.
That way the programs are already downloaded, saving you time and bandwidth - unless there is a newer version, in which case, the newer version will be downloaded and installed.
Then you use your script from Synaptic or Mint Backup to re-install

but how can i create backup of programs that i installed using software manager
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

TANUJMINTLINUX wrote:but how can i create backup of programs that i installed using software manager
Does your question mean programs installed with the Software Manager, as opposed to installed with Synaptic, or installed with gdebi?
Or does your question mean you want to create a backup using Software Manager?

The script that you create with Synaptic or Mint Backup will include all programs - no matter how they were installed.
The procedure I described will include all programs - no matter how they were installed.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
pkmaarsen

Post by pkmaarsen »

Hi, since a week I'm on Linux Mint 13 Xfce. So far, everything worked out nicely: installation, etc. Took me some time to get my printer connected (drivers to install), but I'm of course in the beginning of my learning curve.
Now everything is still running smoothly, I wonder if it would be useful to make a sort of image of my system. For my Windows8-PC I'm happily using Macrium Reflect (gratis version): each month I make a backup (image). This has helped me a few times when my PC was stuck. As far as I know Macrium is also suited for Linux (at least that is what they say).
Can you advise on that, especially with respect to the methods you mentioned in the forumdiscussion?
Thanks, Paul.
PS: I'm surprised about the speed at which Linux Mint 13 Xfce starts up on a 6 years old PC: Windows XP is from the stone age in that respect (I replaced XP fully by Linux: no double boot).
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

pkmaarsen wrote:Hi, since a week I'm on Linux Mint 13 Xfce. So far, everything worked out nicely: installation, etc. Took me some time to get my printer connected (drivers to install), but I'm of course in the beginning of my learning curve.
Now everything is still running smoothly, I wonder if it would be useful to make a sort of image of my system. For my Windows8-PC I'm happily using Macrium Reflect (gratis version): each month I make a backup (image). This has helped me a few times when my PC was stuck. As far as I know Macrium is also suited for Linux (at least that is what they say).
Can you advise on that, especially with respect to the methods you mentioned in the forumdiscussion?
Thanks, Paul.
PS: I'm surprised about the speed at which Linux Mint 13 Xfce starts up on a 6 years old PC: Windows XP is from the stone age in that respect (I replaced XP fully by Linux: no double boot).

hello there :wink:
no , i don't think a backup image is required of system files because i don,t think linux can boot from a backup image of systemm files.
and talking of your stuff on system it is always adviced to have backup of that :wink:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

TANUJMINTLINUX wrote: i don't think a backup image is required of system files because i don,t think linux can boot from a backup image of systemm files.
and talking of your stuff on system it is always adviced to have backup of that :wink:
Linux can, in fact, boot from a backup image - I just did it yesterday.
To be more specific, I ran gparted from a DVD, copied my Mint 16 / partition to an external hard drive as a backup a couple of months ago. Using gparted you just right-click > Copy, then right-click on unallocated space somewhere else and Paste. Then change the UUID to avoid conflicts.
Then I ran into a config problem that I wanted to check out, so I copied the backup / partition from the external drive to unallocated space on sdb (internal hard drive). Then I fixed grub and fstab and I can boot into the original Mint 16 or the backup Mint 16.
Linux Linx 2018
adfd1

Post by adfd1 »

Download Redo Backup and Recovery. Burn it to a disk, and create an image of your HDD. Then if you mess things up recovering from a backup is very easy. I'm fairly new to Mint and my backup has saved me already. -AD
pkmaarsen

Post by pkmaarsen »

Thanks adid1 for telling your experience with Redo Backup and Recovery. I have done the same as you. Thus, i have an image of my Linux Mint 13 on an external disk, but I have not had the courage yet to place it back. I'm afraid to change and spoil a well running Linux Mint configuration. You give me the confidence it will work when necessary! Paul.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Isn't (wasn't?) there a way to install the Mint of your choice, remove the apps you don't want, install the ones you do, and then create a semi-custom .ISO of it? Seems like it was used for people who needed the same setup on multiple computers (IOW, business' IT workers), but it might be useful for those who wish to create a permanent "no download required" custom installation media.

Or was thatsomething specific to Ultimate Edition linux? I ran that before Mint and sometimes my memories get jumbled/confused (sins of a misspent youth ;) ).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”