Level 7
Level 7

Thunderbird 24.5

Post by mike acker »

twice now Thunderbird has wanted me to update to vers. 24.5
but when i try to accept this update it goes into
connecting to server
and just sits and spins its wheels

i can download the update but it is not in .deb format and i have no clue what to do with it
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Thunderbird 24.5

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi Mike,

Checking for updates in Thunderbird should be disabled. This worked in Windows but not in Linux. One reason is that Thunderbird lives in a folder that you, as a user, may not update. Normally you just wait for a newer version (same for Firefox) to be updated in the Mint repositories. This usually happens 2-3 weeks after a new version is released. It will then appear as an update in Mint Update.

Patience is a virtue.
Possess it if you can.
It's seldom found in women.
It's never found in man!!
:wink:
AdamFirst
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AdamFirst »

I too have seen Thunderbird tell me to update. I thought that they said it was a security issue. So, I've been checking software update for the past two days.

I hope a security update doesn't have to wait 2-3 weeks.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

If you really can't wait then download the latest version [url=ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/]here[/url]. Just make sure to get the correct version: 32 or 64 bit.
Open a file manager and go to the folder where you downloaded it and unpack it to that same folder. There should be one folder called "thunderbird".
In a second file manager window open the folder /opt as Root. Rename (or delete) the "thunderbird" folder in /opt.
In the first file manager window right click on the "thunderbird" folder and choose "copy". In the second file manager window choose "paste.
Done.
Just one more thing. Your system will not be aware of this manual update, so when Thunderbird" does enter the Mint repositories, you will get an update for it. So just let it do so.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

instead of manual installation you can add solydxk's repo and install the latest thunderbid there.

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main upstream import kdenext
after the update you can add these lines to /etc/apt/preferences to avoid apt install anything other than thunderbird from solydxk repo

Package: *
Pin : release o=solydxk
Pin-Priority : 400
solydxk usually have faster thunderbid and firefox. this trick should be work for firefox too.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

kurotsugi wrote:instead of manual installation you can add solydxk's repo and install the latest thunderbid there.

deb http://packages.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main upstream import kdenext
after the update you can add these lines to /etc/apt/preferences to avoid apt install anything other than thunderbird from solydxk repo

Package: *
Pin : release o=solydxk
Pin-Priority : 400
solydxk usually have faster thunderbid and firefox. this trick should be work for firefox too.
cool. I really like my LMDE/Mint though and I think I'll stick to the Department SOP!!
I received and applied updates for FLASH this morning through the standard update procedure
¡Viva la Resistencia!
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Did I say 2-3 weeks? Mint just made a liar of me. I just now got the updates for both Thunderbird and Firefox. :shock:
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

GeneBenson wrote:Did I say 2-3 weeks? Mint just made a liar of me. I just now got the updates for both Thunderbird and Firefox. :shock:
me too

both updates wen on flawlessly :D :D :D
¡Viva la Resistencia!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

GeneBenson wrote:Did I say 2-3 weeks? Mint just made a liar of me. I just now got the updates for both Thunderbird and Firefox. :shock:
When I saw your post, I did not want to contradict you because I was not sure if Clem had time to push this update or not. But since a few month, Linux Mint is pretty reactive for Firefox updates. It only takes one or two days normally. :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”